Junior Game Designer
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
We are looking for a prodigious Junior Game Designer to help develop a new AAA game franchise. This is a fantastic opportunity for fresh new talent to join an experienced team that is focussed on collaboration and working smart.
As a Junior Game Designer you will assist and collaborate with your Lead Game Designer and Design Director on a range of content, from developing fundamental core game mechanics, mini game ideation to boss battle implementation. You will create and maintain any related game design documentation and oversee the development of key game features.
In this role, you will be expected to build on your burgeoning knowledge, learning from the experienced people in your team, whilst being encouraged to bring fresh new ideas and perspectives to the table.
In your new role you will:
- Design, pitch and prototype key game mechanics and features working in close collaboration with your colleagues across all disciplines.
- Oversee the creation of key features from ideation to completion.
- Take full responsibility for your area of influence, ensuring your tasking is kept up to date.
- Review, tweak and balance gameplay to deliver a AAA quality experience.
- Troubleshoot design issues from a technical and creative standpoint.
- Understand the requirements of the franchise vision and adjust plans accordingly when required.
To be successful you will:
- Be a game design sponge, you should be eager to listen and learn, paying meticulous attention to detail.
- Have experience working with existing game engines and/or game creation tools.
- Have proof of your ability to create and develop content to completion, either via personal projects, work experience or very strong course work examples.
- Be comfortable with both practical and conceptual aspects of Game Design.
- Have a passion for sports and action/adventure genres.
- Be creative, with an ambitious mind and confidence to explore new concepts.
- Have the confidence to present ideas to a wide variety of audiences, both technical and non-technical in a succinct manner.
- An excellent understanding of past and current game trends; particularly in the sports and action/adventure genres.
- Have a passion for working cross discipline and be a dedicated team player.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Be self-motivated, able to multitask and understand priorities whilst working under limited supervision.
- Have a positive, ethical and uplifting attitude with an open mind.
What We Offer:
- Annual Bonus
- Share Incentive Plan
- Competitive Pension
- Flexible Working
- 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday. a duvet day and Christmas
- 5 Learning Days
- Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
- Game & Book Libraries
- Wrap Parties
- Alternative Travel Prize Draw
- The Sumo GameJam
- Big Family Events
- Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
- Life Drawing
- Yoga Classes
- Free fruit and drinks
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Career Development
- Competitive Mat/Paternity & Adoption
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Life Assurance 4x Salary
- Income Protection of 75%
- Relocation Support to the UK
- Visa Sponsorship
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo Digital, we know that diversity and inclusivity will make our teams (and the amazing work that they do) better! We encourage and welcome ALL applications.
More About The Sumo Sheffield Studio:
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.