Central Art Manager
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
We are actively recruiting an exceptional Central Art Manager for Sumo's Sheffield studio to help develop and grow the Art Team. You will report to the Studio Head of Art and work alongside the Studio Art Manager and Studio Art Director to continue our drive for improvement and quality.
You will undoubtedly be a confident, enthusiastic leader unafraid to be an advocate for the art team with the ability to have a holistic approach on how art impacts the gaming development lifecycle. With a passion for excellence, you will drive consistent working practices, set high standards, mentor and support the Central Art Directors and Leads.
This is a perfect opportunity for the right person to have a high-level view of the Studio’s ambitions and play a pivotal role in its future development.
Within this role you will:
- Maintain a long-term view of the Sheffield studios project Art needs and provide solutions for resourcing.
- Manage and support the Central Art Directors and leads to ensure that Art quality is maintained and improved
- Work with production to ensure that the team is adequately resourced to meet the studio’s requirements.
- Review, direct and provide positive constructive feedback for central Art Directors and Leads to develop their abilities and output.
- Partner with creative leadership and other team leads to identify and resolve all issues related to art production.
- Evangelise and spread consistency in working practices both within the group and to the wider teams.
- Facilitate and lead regular art reviews for internal and external teams.
- Work with the Central Art Directors to ensure working practices are regularly reviewed and improved where needed.
- Be an advocate and spokesperson for the Studio.
- Regularly update senior management on status and progress of Central art and resolutions for Art production issues.
- Actively participate in multi-discipline stakeholder meetings and champion the art requirements/needs
- Collaborate with Producers and Art Managers to identify and resolve art workflow and staffing issues.
To be successful you will have:
- Shipped AAA console titles as a Studio Art Manager or equivalent.
- The ability to define a high calibre vision for AAA Art production working practices and ensure its implementation
- Have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in games or analogous industry.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Proven experience of driving and supporting artists across multiple art disciplines and workflows.
- Worked collaboratively and productively in cross discipline teams.
- Be self-motivated and self-sufficient.
- Excellent visual, verbal, and written communication skills to support delivery of a clear artistic vision projects both internally and externally.
- Mastery in identifying workflow issues identifying resolutions and the ability to implement them.
- A commitment to raising the bar for the art teams and the studio as a whole.
- A strong understanding of current game technology and it’s future ambitions.
- Be able to display example of previews production workflows and asset tracking that you have developed and implemented
- Understand the importance of delivery and its impact on all disciplines.
- Strong aesthetic judgement.
It would be great if you also have experience with:
- Developing games from existing IPs or franchises
- High volumes of asset production and tracking.
What We Offer:
- Annual Bonus
- Share Incentive Plan
- Competitive Pension
- Flexible Working
- 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday. a duvet day and Christmas
- 5 Learning Days
- Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
- Game & Book Libraries
- Wrap Parties
- Alternative Travel Prize Draw
- The Sumo GameJam
- Big Family Events
- Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
- Life Drawing
- Yoga Classes
- Free fruit and drinks
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Career Development
- Competitive Mat/Paternity & Adoption
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Life Assurance 4x Salary
- Income Protection of 75%
- Relocation Support to the UK
- Visa Sponsorship
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo Digital, we know that diversity and inclusivity will make our teams (and the amazing work that they do) better! We encourage and welcome ALL applications.
More About The Sumo Sheffield Studio:
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.