Senior Build Engineer
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
As a Senior Build Engineer at Sumo Sheffield you will be responsible for maintaining the stability of the project builds across all target platforms and environments.
You will be responsible for the design and implementation of systems to automate building (compilation, linking, packaging, etc) testing, deployment and release/certification of a given title.
You will be capable of quickly identifying the cause of any build disruptions, and for either resolving those problems directly or communicating with relevant stakeholders to help resolve those build issues.
You will be responsible for applying updates to Build Environments (OS, Application, IDE, etc.). Furthermore, you will coordinate with relevant Stakeholders to manage changes to Development, Test and Retail Environments.
You will be helped in this and report to the Lead Programmer on the Development Team.
A typical day involves maintaining Environments & Systems for existing projects, while developing strategies for improving and automating the build and test processes for existing and future projects.
You know how to use the tools required, including systems and scripting languages for automating building and testing.
You may also have the skills to develop and refine tests to improve the quality of the testing process.
You will have excellent communication skills enabling you to accurately communicate issues and report on the status of the build systems and builds themselves.
You are proactive in identifying gaps in our end-to-end pipelines and are continually proposing and implementing improvements.
Within this role you will require:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Jenkins, TeamCity or similar CI/CD systems
- A strong understanding of SCCM tools (Perforce, git or Subversion) and workflows (branching, streams, integrations, etc.)
- Experience with Maven, Gradle, or similar build management tools
- A solid understanding of Linux, OSX and Windows Operating Systems
- Experience in a minimum of one scripting language (Python, Bash, Perl, Ruby, PowerShell).
We need you to have:
- Experience working with Distributed Build Systems and Infrastructure (SN-DBS, Incredibuild, FASTBuild, etc.)
- Experience writing and maintaining automation scripts
- Knowledge of large-scale asset pipelines
- Experience in a range of programming languages (C#, C++, Java)
- Good time management and self-motivation skills
- The ability to take direction and feedback.
- Experience deploying to cloud compute and storage environments
- Game industry experience, and experience of console build tool chains
You will also need to:
- You are highly motivated to tune and optimise pipelines in order to improve team efficiency.
- Think critically and apply analytical skills in resolving complex issues
- Author and present technical proposals for process improvements
- Mentor less experienced programmers.
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with VMWare or similar technologies
- Familiarity with application containers (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Familiarity with AWS, Azure, etc
- Familiarity with Compile-time and Link-time optimisation strategies
- Familiarity with Crash/Incident Reporting Systems
- Familiarity with Log Aggregation
- Familiarity with Retail/Production Telemetry & Metrics
- Console programming experience.
What We Offer:
- Annual Bonus
- Share Incentive Plan
- Competitive Pension
- Flexible Working
- 27 Days Holiday, including your birthday. a duvet day and Christmas
- 5 Learning Days
- Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
- Game & Book Libraries
- Wrap Parties
- Alternative Travel Prize Draw
- The Sumo GameJam
- Big Family Events
- Studio clubs, inc. running, board games, film…
- Life Drawing
- Yoga Classes
- Free fruit and drinks
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Career Development
- Competitive Mat/Paternity & Adoption
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Life Assurance 4x Salary
- Income Protection of 75%
- Relocation Support to the UK
- Visa Sponsorship
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo Digital, we know that diversity and inclusivity will make our teams (and the amazing work that they do) better! We encourage and welcome ALL applications.
More About The Sumo Sheffield Studio:
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.