We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sumo Newcastle joined the Sumo Digital family in January of 2018. As a former CCP Games studio, we have a solid history of cutting-edge development, and now with Sumo, a spectacular future of ‘AAA’ game development for some of the biggest and best publishers in the world.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
Sumo Newcastle has an exciting opportunity for an Art Director. Having just announced our new IP Hood: Outlaws and Legends, we are now looking for someone who is passionate and supportive to guide and direct the art for an unannounced project at the studio.
The successful applicant will be responsible for defining the art style, maintaining the visual quality standards within the new project , and actively involved in the day to day art production pipeline. This includes the design and development of artwork and supervision over environment, character, visual effects and animation. It is the Art Director’s responsibility to work in conjunction with the other directors and discipline leads to set the quality standards for the game using in-depth knowledge of techniques and technical limitation requirements. They will be working on an exciting AAA project within a highly experienced team with a proven record of delivering quality products.
The ideal candidate should have a strong history demonstrating an exceptional eye for detail, creative flair and the ability to outwardly convey the artistic vision to a team. They should have solid communication skills along with sound mentorship to help the art team to learn and develop skills enabling them to deliver high quality art work throughout the project.
- Manage art teams to establish the visual content/art for each project.
- Take an active role in planning of projects and project pitches.
- Ensure art teams have the proper techniques and tools to deliver top quality art on a project.
- Regularly reviews and provides feedback to art staff.
- Mentor and provide strong career guidance to art staff.
- Work closely with design to ensure that gameplay requirements are considered in all art sub-disciplines.
- Establish art staff best practices and methods.
- Skills, Experience and Qualifications – this feels out of place? Is it a copy/past error. This look like sub category titles not responsibilities
- 7 years experience in game development, plus 3 shipped titles
- 3 or more years experience in a leading art role
- Excellent Knowledge of current game art production pipelines and practices.
- Gain and maintain an excellent Knowledge of all the latest games that are in direct competition with the products that are being developed at the studio to ensure quality levels of art is maintained.
- A deep understanding of all art software packages used in studio.
- Excellent Knowledge of colour theory, composition and staging techniques.
- Knowledge of possible future software packages that may help during production and the ability to bring them into the current workflow.
- Working knowledge of engine and tool sets required to generate assets.
Demonstrated Ability To:
- Produce finished art of an exceptional quality
- Provide effective solutions
- Work effectively with no guidance
- Take initiative
- Remain knowledgeable on current software
- Clearly and effectively communicate (written and oral)
- Define and maintain art production pipelines for efficiency and state of the art assets.
What we Offer:
Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific game developers, enjoying over fifteen years of stability and growth. We have UK studios in Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leamington Spa, The Chinese Room in Brighton and Red Kite Games in Leeds, along with Sumo Video Games in Pune, India.
We offer a superb benefits package including generous holidays and flexi-time. We care about our people, with an emphasis on the work/life balance and out of office events such as our legendary annual Sumo ‘Big Day Out’, plus epic Christmas parties and much more! Our regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - winning concepts can go on to commercial release, so far including Snake Pass and the upcoming Spyder for Apple Arcade.
We are proud to be in the North-East of England in the Northern Design Centre on the Quayside next to the River Tyne, and will soon move into purpose-built, state-of-the-art facilities nearby. Newcastle was voted the number one place that travellers should visit in 2018 by Rough Guide and has everything that a major European city has to offer; culture, heritage, lively bars and fantastic retail. It is an exciting cosmopolitan city while also boasting plenty of beautiful outdoor space including several beaches less than an hour’s drive away.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built on every team member having the opportunity to shine and have real, meaningful input into the games that we create. We pride ourselves on our positive atmosphere and sociable team who regularly partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime and after-work clubs, and charity fundraising events.