Sumo Nottingham develops characterful, accessible and innovative action/adventure and racing games for console and PC. We are part of Sumo Digital Ltd., an independent UK developer working with some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony and Sega.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
Sumo Nottingham is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
Sumo Nottingham are looking for an experienced Art Director to play a key role in guiding and directing the art for an unannounced multiplayer, character action project at the studio.
The ideal candidate should have a strong history demonstrating an exceptional eye for detail, creative flair and the ability to outwardly convey the artistic vision to a team whilst understanding its impact on a game’s development through its full lifecycle. With a passion for excellence, they will drive high standards, mentor and support team members and push for creative collaboration across both the Art department and other disciplines.
Within this role you will:
- Direct and supervise all art disciplines across a team to establish and create a projects visual content.
- Communicate the art vision, internally and externally through the use of presentations and documentation such as art bibles, style guides and mood boards.
- Work with art leads to establish best practices and ensure the proper techniques and tools are used to deliver high quality art on a project.
- Collaborate with the Code, Design and Art teams to identify and help implement new ideas and art features needed for each projects vision.
- Take an active role in planning of projects and project pitches.
- Review, direct and provide positive constructive feedback across the team.
- Regularly update senior management on status and progress of milestone deliverables.
- Facilitate and lead art reviews for internal and external teams.
- Mentor and provide strong career guidance for art staff.
To be successful you will have:
- Shipped at least one AAA title as an Art Director or Associate Art Director.
- Have a creative eye and aesthetic judgement to help drive and critique visual quality.
- The flexibility to work in multiple artistic styles.
- Excellent composition, lighting and colour theory skills and appreciation.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, interpersonal and organisational skills.
- A good working knowledge of software, game engines and tool sets required to generate game content.
- Collaborate with Production to identify and resolve art workflow and staffing issues
It would be great if you also have experience with:
- developing games off of strong existing IPs or franchises
- Unreal Engine 4
Where you’ll be working
Our studio is in Nottingham’s Castle Marina, near Nottingham’s picturesque canal route and just fifteen minutes’ walk from the City Centre. The studio is served by excellent bus, tram and cycle links and the railway station is a ten-minute walk away.
Nottingham has lots to see and do, including a huge choice of bars and restaurants, art galleries and numerous cultural events. There are several large parks in and around the city (including Wollaton Park, containing Batman’s house!), and it sits on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District area. It has excellent road and rail links to the North and South of the country, with London less than two hours away by train.
What we’ll do for you
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. We support your personal development through access to training resources and time to work on them. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, vouchers on your birthday and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves, and offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, with emphasis on well being and work/life balance.
Want to know more about Sumo?
Sumo Digital, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and 2019 TIGA Award for Best Independent Studio, continues to be one of the UK's most prolific game developers, enjoying year on year stability and growth since its founding in 2003. We have UK studios in Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham, Leamington Spa, Warrington, The Chinese Room in Brighton and Red Kite Games in Leeds, along with Sumo Video Games in Pune, India.