Senior Gameplay Programmer
Studio Gobo is an established AAA games studio, part of the Keywords family. Our team has worked on multiple world class projects for companies such as Tencent, Disney, Ubisoft and Warner Bros. Projects include Synced Off-Planet, For Honor, Marvel Super Heroes Guardians of the Galaxy and Star Wars Rise Against the Empire playsets for Disney Infinity 3.0.
We are currently looking for an accomplished and self-motivated Senior Gameplay Programmer to join our team on an unannounced AAA game. A Senior Gameplay Programmer is responsible for designing, developing, testing and implementing systems and game code, and is happy to turn their hand to any task required.
At Studio Gobo, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Studio Gobo is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We offer you a comprehensive benefits package and an award-winning environment to work in, rating 4.9 out of 5 stars for employee satisfaction on glassdoor.com!
A Senior Gameplay Programmer at Studio Gobo...
- Designs, develops, writes, tests and implements systems and game code.
- Works with designers, artists and other personnel involved in the development process as required to create the highest possible quality product.
- Helps to develop technical design specifications and is able to implement them.
- Tests and refines gameplay features throughout the development cycle of the project.
- Estimates own tasks and delivers high quality code to that schedule.
- Mentors code team, passing on experience and expertise, and leads by example.
- Performs code reviews with the team to ensure code quality.
Things we'd love to see from you
- Proficient in C/C++ with a minimum of 4 years experience.
- 3 years experience working in the video games industry.
- 2 years experience in console or mobile programming.
- Worked on at least 1 shipped game.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including with team members outside of the code team.
- Ability to manage time and workload effectively including planning, organising and prioritising in conjunction with the code team.
- Writes clear, debuggable, maintainable and performance targeted code.
- Able to design and create complex systems from start to finish, formulating and realising creative solutions to novel problems.
- Able to break down and structure tasks to meet deadlines efficiently.
- A professional ‘can do’ attitude and a strong team player.
- Enjoys mentoring and coaching less experienced programmers.
- Highly self-motivated with a positive mental attitude and pride in delivering quality.
- Excellent bug diagnosis and debugging skills.
- Demonstrable portfolio of relevant extra-curricular or hobbyist projects.
Please also let us know if you have
- Knowledge of industry standard development practices source control, asset pipelines, issue tracking, external QA and localisation teams.
- Exposure to post-launch on-going product development and delivery.
- Continuous integration and build automation experience.
- Worked in an Agile development environment.
- Experience with art packages and pipeline development.
- Experience with low level optimisation, shader programming, physics or mathematics.
- Understanding and experience of cloud server and network backend systems.
When you join Studio Gobo you can expect to enjoy a unique culture. Whether its participating and relaxing with one of our wellness benefits or discussing the latest games over lunch cooked by our in-house chef. The Studio knows that it’s the best people that make the best games and this is what Studio Gobo invests in. Below you will find all the benefits and perks you can enjoy as a Studio Gobo team member.
- 20 days’ annual leave entitlement, plus 3 days’ studio closure over the Christmas period, giving a total of 23 days paid annual leave plus all 8 UK bank holidays.
- An additional day of annual leave for each year’s anniversary working at Studio Gobo, to a maximum of 7 extra days!
- Generous Team Project Bonuses
- Annual Pay Review
- Employer contribution matching award winning pension scheme provided by NEST under the UK governments automatic enrolment scheme.
- Full private medical cover provided by BUPA Healthcare.
- Group Life Insurance
- Private Dental Insurance Scheme
- Group Income Protection
- Spend one day per year on full pay volunteering for the non-profit organisation of your choice.
- Salary sacrifice cycle purchase scheme with tax savings through Evans Cycles.
- Free eye tests.
- Interest free company loan to spread the cost of an annual season ticket.
- Free gym sessions with our own Gobo personal trainer.
- £50 per month to spend on your choice of a range of healthy activities.
- Plenty of room for career advancement.
- A generous annual studio conferences budget. Many of our employees benefit from attending conferences such as GDC, E3 or SIGGRAPH, THU, Develop etc every year.
- Free locally roasted Coffee & Speciality Teas
- Extensive granola, muesli and breakfast cereal selections
- Free use of our large full-sized chef’s kitchen ideal for whipping up a quick snack or a culinary feast.
- Our world-famous lunch prepared and served every Friday by our own in-house Gobo chef. Sit, eat and chat with your work colleagues.
- Provided every day, with a suggestion board for new treats!
- For the odd naughty pleasure.
- A large range of free chilled soft drinks.
- Free beers, ales and wine and even the odd gin and tonic! Grab a beer at our end of week Show and Tell sessions and see what everybody else in the company has been up to!
- There are lots of ways to socialise with your colleagues here! From day one you’re invited to join in clubs for D&D fans, board games, bouldering, drawing nights, yoga, cooking club – the list goes on and there is always space open for new members!
- Borrow a game, a book or even a whole console.
- Many visitors comment on what an amazing studio space we have. We’ve invested a lot of time, thought and money into our studio. And we get to work in this space every day. Our working environment makes an incredible difference to our mood and productivity.
- Studio Gobo is a dog friendly employer. Bring doggo into the studio to meet and hang out with the rest of the team any time!
- We work hard together so it’s good to let off steam and spend some time together seeing what the wonderful city of Brighton & Hove has to offer.
- Once per month the studio plays host to the best party in Brighton & Hove (probably). The drinks fridge is open and stocked full of delicious alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks for all. Invite a loved one to join us for food, drinks and a choice of board games, gamer tournaments, 10-person Overwatch multiplayer bouts, Beer Pong or even a bit of karaoke.
- Every year on a hot summer’s afternoon, we all leave work early to enjoy the sun with company organised pop-up diner, cocktail shack, bouncy castle, face painting and other fun amenities. The whole family is invited to spend the day coming to socialise with us, on us )