Software Engineer (API Lead)
Who We Are
At Statespace we’re using cognitive science, artificial intelligence, and video games to revolutionize the way that humans improve.
Our first product (Aim Lab) is a personalized, AI-powered analytics and training platform for competitive gamers and Esports athletes. Aim Lab has well over a million users and the best user community in the whole wide world (we may be biased).
Our team consists of scientists, designers, engineers, and game industry vets coming together from places like NYU, MTV, NASA, Yale, Nintendo, and the NFL. We are well-funded and supported by some of the world’s best investors and entrepreneurs, including Khosla Ventures, FirstMark Capital, Lux Capital, Expa Capital, and WndrCo.
Weird. Non-traditional background. Underdog. Outcast. If people have used any of these words or phrases to describe you...welcome home. Kick-ass engineer or designer without a degree? Come join our team.
We hire talented, self-motivated people and get out of their way. We are based in NYC but have a remote work culture and are looking for exceptional people to join our team regardless of their physical location.
We value performance, not hours worked (or when you work them). We believe you shouldn’t have to miss your kid’s play or doctor’s appointment for the sake of adhering to an arbitrary work schedule.
However, if you are looking for a job where you are happy to just collect a nice paycheck and/or nap under your desk like George Costanza, we are not the right fit for you (we don’t even have desks).
The work we do is hard, and therefore, a key company goal is to mitigate needless obstacles that prevent our team members from accomplishing their goals. To that end, our vacation policy is “take it whenever you want to”, our PTO policy is “take it whenever you need to”. We offer very generous medical, dental, vision, and retirement plans.
We’re looking for smart, self-directed engineers who are comfortable bringing new ideas to the table and can stay calm under the uncertainty of building something totally new. We’re always balancing our efforts between young and mature projects, so you’ll get along great with us if you aren’t afraid to iterate quickly on fresh ideas, but also take pride in running a stable ship on production systems
- Take ownership of a ground-up platform (GraphQL, Node) that will serve as the foundation for our science of gaming platform
- Build kickass API that can serve multiple clients (web, Unity, mobile, etc) and will also be the foundation for 3rd party integrations in future
- Work cross-functionally across multiple product areas, collaborating with Data Science, Neuroscientists and external users, to meet diverse user needs
- Design elegant type system that is both secure and high performing
- Systems architecture designed on AWS
- Reporting to VP of Engineering
- Fully remote
- Demonstrated proficiency in Node.js (3-4 years)
- Familiarity with GraphQL concepts and pitfalls
- Desire to roll up your sleeves and build something from scratch
- Desire to grow into a lead or manager role as the team and products scale
- Familiarity with Postgres or similar
- Enjoys working on small, agile teams
- Self-motivated and can work independently with minimal supervision
- Experience using TypeScript
- Track record of deploying and maintaining applications on AWS or GCP
- Experience building cloud-based machine learning pipelines
- Familiarity with Unity/C#
- Interest in neuroscience, AI, data science
- Passionate about Esports or video games; especially FPS
We believe in hiring the best, the brightest, and cultivating a culture of collaboration and appreciation. You will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, citizen status, age, disability, military or protected veteran status, genetic predisposition or carrier status or any other legally protected status.