Senior Backend Engineer (Remote)
Who We Are
At Statespace we’re using cognitive science, artificial intelligence, and video games to revolutionize the way that humans improve.
Our first product (Aim Lab) is a personalized, AI-powered analytics and training platform for competitive gamers and Esports athletes. Aim Lab has well over a million users and the best user community in the whole wide world (we may be biased).
Our team consists of scientists, designers, engineers, and game industry vets coming together from places like NYU, MTV, NASA, Yale, Nintendo, and the NFL. We are well-funded and supported by some of the world’s best investors and entrepreneurs, including Khosla Ventures, FirstMark Capital, Lux Capital, Expa Capital, and WndrCo.
Weird. Non-traditional background. Underdog. Outcast. If people have used any of these words or phrases to describe you...welcome home. Kick-ass engineer or designer without a degree? Come join our team.
We hire talented, self-motivated people and get out of their way. We are based in NYC but have a remote work culture and are looking for exceptional people to join our team regardless of their physical location.
We value performance, not hours worked (or when you work them). We believe you shouldn’t have to miss your kid’s play or doctor’s appointment for the sake of adhering to an arbitrary work schedule.
However, if you are looking for a job where you are happy to just collect a nice paycheck and/or nap under your desk like George Costanza, we are not the right fit for you (we don’t even have desks).
The work we do is hard, and therefore, a key company goal is to mitigate needless obstacles that prevent our team members from accomplishing their goals. To that end, our vacation policy is “take it whenever you want to”, our PTO policy is “take it whenever you need to”. We offer very generous medical, dental, vision, and retirement plans.
The Senior Backend Engineer Role
We’re looking for a talented and experienced backend engineer who can help us build the systems that empower the science behind Aim Lab. Smart, motivated, and calm under pressure; you’ll be working with a team of like minded engineers to build a scalable and reliable backend that many partners and millions of users rely on every day.
- Write beautiful, performant and well-tested code, quickly and efficiently
- Hit the ground running to quickly start iterating on pre-existing systems
- Collaborate with other engineers, data scientists and product managers on a daily basis
- Build or iterate on backend systems that are scalable, maintainable and reliable, using modern technologies
- 3+ years of experience with Node.js backend engineering at scale
- 2+ years of experience writing modern, production-grade TypeScript code
- In-depth knowledge of GraphQL
- Experience with and knowledge of the OAuth specification
- Familiarity with utilizing test frameworks such as Jest
- Ability to step out of comfort zone and learn new technologies
- Ability to uplift and coach the rest of your team
- Excellent communication and self-management skills
- Experience provisioning AWS resources using Pulumi
- Experience deploying Kubernetes infrastructure
- Familiarity with TypeGraphQL