Assistant Esports Coach
Job Title: Esports - Assistant Coach (Part Time)
St. Mary’s University, as a Catholic Marianist University, fosters the formation of people in faith and educates leaders for the common good through community, integrated liberal arts and professional education, and academic excellence.
SUMMARY: The Esports Assistant Coach will be responsible for aiding the Esports Head Coach in developing, launching and growing the Esports program for St. Mary’s University. The position will help connect, recruit and interact with student-athletes as well as assist in attracting cross-cultural and diverse candidates to compete in tournaments, open play nights, Gaming Summer Camps, Gaming Clinics, Gaming Workshops, Gaming Scrimmages, University sponsored gaming leagues and other fundraising events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other general duties related to day-to-day operations as well as special projects.
- Helps Esports Head Coach in identifying vital needs and strategy of the Esports program; game strategy, multiplayer strategy, league strategy, sponsorship strategy, diversity & inclusion strategy, fundraising strategy, clinic and workshop strategy, camp strategy; social media strategy and marketing strategies;
- Assists in managing the Esports players and program in a manner appropriate to support the goals of the university and develops strong sustainable platform/program for all age and experience levels;
- Aids with tryouts and team selections; assesses skills, experience, tracks development and guides and supports technical growth;
- Helps with game strategy and skill instruction;
- Helps ensure that program maintains a strong social media presence while maintaining coordination with the Office of Communications to ensure it is compliant with university standards;
- Collects and analyzes feedback and stats for Esports athletes to assess performance and experience and progression;
- Collaborates with Athletics staff to ensure event schedules and programmatic needs are coordinated properly;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or equivalent; Associates degree preferred
- Must provide at least one (1) year of evidence of competing or coaching one or more of the top tournaments, leagues or popular games (Call of Duty, Fortnite, League of Legends, Rainbow Six Siege, Rocket League, etc.) Must demonstrate a strong and diverse understanding of gaming industry, competitive play, industry titles, gaming genre aspects, and gaming club mechanics and fundamentals;
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license, motor vehicle liability insurance and personal injury insurance, and complete the University Van Driver Training within 90 days of employment date;
- Must be able to travel and work flexible hours including evenings and weekends;
- Must clear and maintain a favorable background investigation and clearance.
- Knowledge and experience playing in or coaching in one or more of the top tournaments, leagues or popular games (Call of Duty, Fortnite, League of Legends, Rainbow Six Siege, Rocket League, etc.) competitive scene & meta.
- Experience working in a fluid, self-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability as a self-starter.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite products.
- Ability to successfully manage, mentor and coach team members.
- Self-directed with willingness to assume responsibility.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to resolve conflicting situations.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to resolve issues independently.
- Ability to work with a diverse community of students, faculty, administrators and professional colleagues.
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s mission.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to bend, stoop, crouch, kneel, twist, balance, and work at a desk, to include pushing and pulling cabinet drawers. Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds and respond to visual and aural cues. Must have manual dexterity to be able to operate the following equipment: computer, game station equipment, and telephone. Requires the ability to distinguish letters or symbols and eye/and coordination. Must be able to tolerate areas containing second hand smoke and an environment with moderate to loud noise levels.