Senior Multiplayer Game Designer
This is a chance for an experienced multiplayer game designer to work as part of a dedicated team within one of the world’s most respected publishers of video games. Square Enix External Studios are the publishing development team responsible for franchises as diverse as ‘Just Cause’, ‘Life is Strange’, and the upcoming ‘Outriders’.
We are looking for a candidate with a proven track record and a passion for both co-operative and competitive multiplayer games to successfully help develop the future direction of our studio.
Based in our London offices, you will be working with our development partners to ensure the overall quality and playability of the multiplayer components of all our externally-developed games is as high as possible. You will play a key role in helping to define the future of these titles, as well as being exposed to the wider publishing environment, and as such this role is perfect for designers looking for a new creative challenge.
- Oversee all multiplayer-related aspects of a title from a creative and design standpoint including systems design, gameplay design, level design, metagame, retention, monetisation, social layer, companion apps, post-launch support and franchise extensions as appropriate.
- Work to keep the game on the right track and ensure the stability of the creative direction of the project.
- Ensure the core game play is strong, fun and challenging as early as possible in the development, and delivers the design intention at agreed milestones.
- Ensure the play balance and difficulty curve works well, and that gamers of the target audience with different skill levels can all get a great experience from the game.
- Ensure the game offers long-term engagement for experience players, while remaining accessible for newcomers.
- Drive review and refinement of project gameplay metrics and perform analysis of trends over time, proposing product improvements as required.
- Perform analysis of user research and predicted review scores trends over time, and propose product improvements as required.
- Work alongside other designers to guide our development partners in all areas of multiplayer design. Continually evaluate titles in development and offer constructive feedback, assistance & solutions to developers to improve weak areas, and make strong areas even better. Understand how your studio partners make games. Learn about their proprietary technology, processes, pipelines and who does what in the studio.
- Help keep the relationship with developers as positive and productive as possible. This means working to build an honest and respectful relationship with them, providing meaningful feedback on their performance and ensuring that they understand Square Enix’s development priorities and business requirements.
- Build a good working relationship with the title’s internal stakeholders and assist them wherever possible to:
- Set design intentions and priorities for key multiplayer gameplay features
- Ensure design is optimised for post ship monetization (where appropriate)
- Set design-based milestone content
- Review milestones & project timelines
- Maintain a clear and consistent design vision for each game
- Contribute to mid and post-mortems
- Organize on-going focus testing and usability testing
- Present our product both internally and externally, including to the media and games community.
- Work with Brand and Marketing to review and contribute to franchise extension opportunities.
- Help drive innovative strategic decision making in terms of how we innovate and remain competitive in the multiplayer gaming space; what platforms we develop on; and title-specific business models, demo content, post-release strategies, and wider aspects of the franchise.
- Review potential new titles and opportunities; assist with finding suitable development partners and perform due diligence.
- Mentor junior designers, assigning and evaluating weekly workload and managing their professional development.
- Help evolve departmental processes to ensure we remain as flexible and competitive as possible.