Lead Software Engineer (Console)
The studio is looking for a talented and experienced Lead Software Engineer to develop the newly formed Console team and take the existing Football Manager Touch product to new and exciting heights.
You will help nurture the team to ensure the Creative Director’s vision for the product is delivered. Your role will include integrating new features and quality of life changes from Football Manager, as well as creating and reviewing technical designs for all console specific features.
We intend to grow the team and the Lead Software Engineer would be expected to mentor and develop the junior members of the team whilst ensuring they adhere to the coding standards set by the studio.
We are looking for self-motivated people with good communication skills who can complete work independently as well as part of a team.
- Lead, research and support the console team to deliver agreed objectives set in line with studio and department goals.
- Lead development on the technical workflow and practices across the console team, ensuring the development aligns with the priorities of the studio.
- Integrate new and existing Football Manager features and quality-of-life changes into the Football Manager Touch code base and ensure build stability.
- Work closely with the UX/UI Designers and Game Designers to create, scope and develop new console features for Football Manager Touch.
- Work across multiple platforms and projects to ensure we deliver the best performance and experience to our customer base.
- Work closely with Senior Production to drive new features and set long term roadmap.
- Collaborate with other disciplines, including QA, Producers, and other engineering teams, on both development and future planning.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Strong knowledge of modern C++ and C# languages.
- Strong knowledge of design patterns and software engineering best practices.
- Minimum five years of professional experience using C++ as the main language and C# as a secondary language.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in both coaching and mentoring a team.
- Experience designing and developing systems for multiple platforms.
- Strong academic background with a 2:1 degree (or equivalent) or higher in a relevant technical field such as computer science, software engineering, mathematics, or physics.
- Strong mathematical, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Good communication skills for effective collaboration with software engineers, artists, animators, QA, and production staff.
- Self-motivated with a drive to improve yourself and others continuously.
- A good understanding of performance and optimisation.
- Experience with Unity preferable.
Sports Interactive (SI) is a multi-award-winning game development studio and the world’s leading developer of sports management simulations. Founded in 1994, SI became a wholly owned subsidiary of SEGA in 2006. Based at the Here East technology hub in Stratford, East London, the SI team continues to expand as it brings its titles to an ever-growing audience via an increasing variety of delivery platforms.
SI has enjoyed sustained commercial and critical success for its extremely detailed and immersive simulation experiences. Its games are amongst the highest-rated PC titles (according to Metacritic) and frequently occupy both the ‘top selling’ and ‘most played’ charts on Steam.
The Sports Interactive team is diverse and international, bringing together world class and high potential talent with a combined passion and drive for creating genre-defining games. Team members enjoy a flexible working schedule and a relaxed studio environment that encourages a close-knit, collaborative approach to game development.
SI is an equal opportunities employer and encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief. Our studio has disabled access and facilities.
SI offers a generous benefits package to all full-time team members including gym membership, in-house massage therapy and private healthcare (including dental). The studio is also a London Living Wage employer and proudly boasts one of the lowest staff turnover rates in the industry with just over 30% of the current full-time team members having been at the studio for 10 years or longer. SI also has many longstanding partnerships with leading charities, local schools and major sporting organisations.
This job description is an accurate reflection of the duties and responsibilities of the post as at the time of writing but will be changed from time to time as the job is a career development job which will be adjusted according to the progress of the job holder. It does not form part of the contract of employment.