Senior Engine Programmer
About Splash Damage
Splash Damage is dedicated to crafting team-based games that ignite friendships as much as they do healthy competition and teamwork. We’ve forged enduring experiences within some of gaming’s most beloved franchises over the years and are now entering a bold new era fuelled by ambitious projects utilising both established and original IP, a move into self-publishing and expansion into new locations.
We're advocates for a healthy work-life balance and believe that our teams create the best work when they have a range of perspectives and experiences to draw from. We're committed to increasing diversity across our studio, fostering an inclusive environment to ensure everyone's voices are heard.
Our efforts have been recognised with several best employer awards over the years. Most recently, we were awarded the coveted 3-star ‘world-class employer’ accreditation by Best Companies and named the 58th best large company to work for in the UK, and the 29th best large company in London.
Due to the on-going COVID-19 situation, we're all currently working from home. We continue to hire across our projects and will set you up remotely for the time being.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with the 24/7 Babylon digital GP service
- Get mental health support from our trained Mental Health First Aiders or via our third-party counselling service
- 24/7 employee assistance helpline offering advice and support on a range of topics, including health, relationships, finances, and the law
- 25 days of annual leave, plus 8 public holidays and our annual closure between Christmas and New Year’s
- Industry-leading fully-paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave
- Enhanced company pension contributions
- Our famous social events are open to you and your family to help you build friendships and have some fun along the way
- Group life assurance scheme
At Splash Damage, we create multiplayer combat games that champion team play and promote lifelong friendships. Systems, Rendering and Online programmers make up our Core Tech team and are responsible for implementing the core systems, pipelines and infrastructure that empower the development team and provide the solid framework for all our titles. We work closely with other disciplines to help them realise their ideas with a focus on delivering value in an iterative, agile environment.
As a Senior Systems Programmer, you will work within cross-functional teams to deliver features on-time and to a high level of quality. You will be part of a team that is responsible for planning, implementing and maintaining core engine features that encompass rendering, networking and low-level systems programming. With a constant focus on scalability, performance and memory usage, you will apply your expertise in data structures and algorithms for modern, multi-core architectures to build state-of-the-art technology for both PC and Consoles. You work effectively in close collaboration with other disciplines to gather requirements and collectively develop solutions.
You excel at:
- Working effectively in open and collaborative environments.
- Employing a can-do attitude and an analytical mindset to solve difficult problems as part of an agile, fast-moving and highly-focused team.
- Breaking down your work into measurable and achievable tasks.
- Writing clear, maintainable and portable code.
- Debugging complex systems
- Communicating ideas, intent and constraints to both technical and non-technical team members.
- Monitoring, maintaining and optimising the performance of the game.
- Strong practical knowledge of C++, with relevant professional experience.
- Strong computer science and maths background.
- Professional experience in systems development for a shipped game on console (such as I/O,* rendering, low-level networking, memory management, content pipelines etc).
- Experience profiling and optimising code for optimal CPU, GPU, memory and bandwidth usage.
- Can do attitude to drive features forward.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to self-organise.
- The people skills to work collaboratively and mentor team members
Even better if you have:
- Professional Unreal Engine 4 development experience.
- Professional experience developing Games-as-a-Service titles.
- Experience with automated testing techniques.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.