Senior Engine Programmer
About Splash Damage
Come join us!
We founded Splash Damage with a mission to create lifelong friendships for our players and our employees by building the world’s most engaging multiplayer experiences with world-leading partners. Our teams have just celebrated the launch of Gears Tactics and we’re currently working on several exciting unannounced titles.
Our people always come first, and we acted swiftly to ensure that we moved all our employees to a work from home model during the COVID-19 outbreak in the UK, and this will continue for the foreseeable future. With our first-class virtual onboarding programme, we’re able to get you up and running remotely during this time and we’re maintaining our relaxed and welcoming culture with digital social events, daily company communications and much more. With the relaxing of travel and quarantine restrictions in the UK, we are now relocating new team members from outside the UK to London prior to starting their employment with us. This gives new Splashers the opportunity to establish a home in the local area, before joining their teams in working remotely until such time as we return to the studio. We will continue to monitor the situation in line with government advice, and look forward to having all of our amazing staff back into the studio as soon as it is safe to do so.
We're advocates for work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements to suit individual needs and a comprehensive benefits package which focuses on family and mental well-being. Together with this we’ve been running a formal Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme for nearly two years and are committed to increasing diversity across our studio.
At Splash Damage, we create multiplayer combat games that champion team play and promote lifelong friendships. Systems, Rendering and Online programmers make up our Core Tech team and are responsible for implementing the core systems, pipelines and infrastructure that empower the development team and provide the solid framework for all our titles. We work closely with other disciplines to help them realise their ideas with a focus on delivering value in an iterative, agile environment.
As a Senior Systems Programmer, you will work within cross-functional teams to deliver features on-time and to a high level of quality. You will be part of a team that is responsible for planning, implementing and maintaining core engine features that encompass rendering, networking and low-level systems programming. With a constant focus on scalability, performance and memory usage, you will apply your expertise in data structures and algorithms for modern, multi-core architectures to build state-of-the-art technology for both PC and Consoles. You work effectively in close collaboration with other disciplines to gather requirements and collectively develop solutions.
You excel at:
- Working effectively in open and collaborative environments.
- Employing a can-do attitude and an analytical mindset to solve difficult problems as part of an agile, fast-moving and highly-focused team.
- Breaking down your work into measurable and achievable tasks.
- Writing clear, maintainable and portable code.
- Debugging complex systems
- Communicating ideas, intent and constraints to both technical and non-technical team members.
- Monitoring, maintaining and optimising the performance of the game.
- Strong practical knowledge of C++, with relevant professional experience.
- Strong computer science and maths background.
- Professional experience in systems development for a shipped game on console (such as I/O,* rendering, low-level networking, memory management, content pipelines etc).
- Experience profiling and optimising code for optimal CPU, GPU, memory and bandwidth usage.
- Can do attitude to drive features forward.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to self-organise.
- The people skills to work collaboratively and mentor team members
Even better if you have:
- Professional Unreal Engine 4 development experience.
- Professional experience developing Games-as-a-Service titles.
- Experience with automated testing techniques.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.