About Splash Damage
Splash Damage is dedicated to crafting team-based games that ignite friendships as much as they do healthy competition and teamwork. We’ve forged enduring experiences within some of gaming’s most beloved franchises over the years and are now entering a bold new era fuelled by ambitious projects utilising both established and original IP, a move into self-publishing and expansion into new locations.
We’re advocates for a healthy work-life balance and believe that our teams create the best work when they have a range of perspectives and experiences to draw from. We’re committed to increasing diversity across our studio, fostering an inclusive environment to ensure everyone’s voices are heard.
Our efforts have been recognised with several best employer awards over the years. Most recently, we were awarded the coveted 3-star ‘world-class employer’ accreditation by Best Companies and named the 58th best large company to work for in the UK, and the 29th best large company in London.
Due to the on-going COVID-19 situation, we’re all currently working from home. We continue to hire across our projects and will set you up remotely for the time being.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with a 24/7 digital GP service
- Get mental health support from our trained Mental Health First Aiders or via our third-party counselling service
- 24/7 employee assistance helpline offering advice and support on a range of topics, including health, relationships, finances, and the law
- 25 days of annual leave, plus 8 public holidays and our annual closure between Christmas and New Year’s
- Industry-leading fully-paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave
- Enhanced company pension contributions
- Our famous social events are open to you and your family to help you build friendships and have some fun along the way
- Group life assurance scheme
You might come from Level Design, Game Design, Narrative Design or dedicated Mission Design but have a passion for, and experience with scenario and mission creation.
This is a highly creative role with a lot of freedom to create exiting encounters. It also demands hands-on work as the successful candidate will be implementing and iterating their own content.
As Splash Damage’s Mission Designer, you will:
- Ideate, own and implement mission content including narrative and enemy encounters.
- Take ownership of your own content and guide it through concept to completion.
- Have a perfect understanding of the game’s vision, direction and narrative and be able to design mission content that fits within these parameters.
- Work closely with designers, programmers and artists to create and maintain fun, playable missions.
- Collect and analyse playtest data and feedback, and iterate on missions accordingly in collaboration with multiple departments.
- Understand the core gameplay mechanics, project goals, and target demographic.
- Understand the technical constraints of the game engine.
- Understand the capabilities and workflow of the game editor and mission creation pipeline, and contribute ideas to help improve them.
- Present your work to the team at various stages and be happy to accept positive critique from peers and Leads.
- Provide positive feedback to other members of the team.
- Pro-actively work with the other mission designers to share knowledge, review content and ensure consistency.
- Work with production to generate tasks, provide estimates and ensure deliverables are provided on time and to the required level of quality
- Constantly monitor the bug database and fix issues in a timely fashion to maintain stability and ensure that your missions remain playable at all times
Essential Skills and Experience
- A passion for making and playing games.
- Industry experience and 1 shipped AAA current gen (PS4 / XBOX ONE) console or PC title, worked on from beginning to end as a designer.
- Experience in creating mission content from concept to completion.
- The ability to work independently without close supervision.
- A passion for creating exciting quests and missions.
- The ability to work collaboratively with other disciplines.
- Experience of blueprint scripting in UE4.
- Experience with design documentation, diagram and flow-chart creation.
- Experience with source-control applications (SVN, Perforce, AlienBrain, etc)
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience in creative writing.
- Experience with wiki-based design documentation.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.