Lead Concept Artist
We founded Splash Damage with a mission to create lifelong friendships for our players and our employees by building the world’s most engaging multiplayer experiences with world-leading partners. Our teams have just celebrated the launch of Gears Tactics and we’re currently working on several exciting unannounced titles.
Our people always come first, and we acted swiftly to ensure that we moved all our employees to a work from home model during the COVID-19 outbreak in the UK, and this will continue for the foreseeable future. With our first-class virtual onboarding programme, we’re able to get you up and running remotely during this time and we’re maintaining our relaxed and welcoming culture with digital social events, daily company communications and much more. With the relaxing of travel and quarantine restrictions in the UK, we are now relocating new team members from outside the UK to London prior to starting their employment with us. This gives new Splashers the opportunity to establish a home in the local area, before joining their teams in working remotely until such time as we return to the studio. We will continue to monitor the situation in line with government advice, and look forward to having all of our amazing staff back into the studio as soon as it is safe to do so.
We're advocates for work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements to suit individual needs and a comprehensive benefits package which focuses on family and mental well-being. Together with this we’ve been running a formal Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme for nearly two years and are committed to increasing diversity across our studio.
We are looking for a passionate and highly talented Lead Concept Artist to join our ranks and help build and drive the quality of our projects as well as contribute to the continued development of the talented artists within the company.
As a Lead Concept Artist, you will work closely with your Art Director and Leadership Team to conceive, develop and deliver high-quality concept art, maintain and communicate the established vision. You will also work together with the Leadership Team and the Production Team to ensure consistent schedule and project planning, as well as collaborate on workflows and visual direction.
As a Lead Concept Artist, you need to be well versed in deconstructing visual style and direction, as well as motivating and clear in communicating it within your team to ensure consistency and high standards of quality.
- Create high quality, believable and realistic production concepts to represent vision
- Create supporting artwork to aid visual problem solving and iteration
- Work with the Art Director to establish and maintain visual direction
- Motivate and support the Concept Art team to maintain consistent, high-quality art that fits the specifications of the project
- Communicate with other Discipline Leads to ensure the needs of all departments are considered
- Collaborate with Production and Leadership Team on schedule, planning and management
- Contribute to communication with our partners
Essential skills and experience:
- Strong and inspiring portfolio of high-quality and creative concept art
- Strong understanding of artistic and design fundamentals and skills, including drawing, anatomy, composition, perspective, light, colour, functional design, architecture, graphic design and typography.
- Good knowledge of game development, art creation pipelines and workflows.
- Passion for world building, contextual narrative and storytelling
- Ability to give and receive feedback and adapt to visual direction
- Shipped titles in a Senior Position or higher
- Ability to analyse and deconstruct visual style and direction
Preferred skills and experience:
- Understanding of Leadership and Management (planning, scoping etc.)
- Ability to support and mentor less experienced Concept Artists
- Strong traditional art skills
- Experience in AAA development
- Experience managing a team
- Shipped titles in a Leadership Role
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.