Lead Character Artist
About Splash Damage
We founded Splash Damage with a mission to create lifelong friendships amongst our players and our staff by building the world’s most engaging multiplayer experiences. We only team up with the world’s leading partners and have worked with many of gaming’s most beloved universes over the years.
Our studio culture is built around autonomy, friendliness, and constant learning, and we look after our talent with a comprehensive benefits package. The Sunday Times named Splash Damage the UK’s 47th Best Company to Work For in 2018, and we’ve been awarded their Best Companies accreditation four years running. We also believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives and opinions to draw from, and we are committed to increasing diversity across our studio to consistently enable that.
We are currently working on several exciting titles for PC and consoles, including Gears 5, Gears Tactics, and a few that haven’t been announced yet. Come join us!
We’re kicking off an exciting new project here at Splash Damage and so we’re looking for a Lead Character Artist to join the leadership team to define the look and feel of our heroes and villains.
As Lead Character Artist, you will work closely with the Art Director and Creative Director and be responsible for creating, establishing and maintaining high-quality characters for our project.
Our ideal candidate should exhibit strong mentoring capabilities and lead by example: displaying a mastery of Anatomy, Sculpting and Texturing with strong overall artistic abilities.
- Lead, motivate and inspire a team of creative artists to help them to maintain quality, efficiency and consistency through feedback and mentoring.
- Drive the visual quality in conjunction with other Lead Artists
- Collaborate with Art and Design Directors to create technically sound, engaging and memorable characters
Essential Skills and Experience
- Management of an experienced Character Art Team: including holding regular 121s, setting objectives, looking after the team’s welfare and providing mentoring
- Highly experienced and proficient with 3D Studio MAX or Maya, Zbrush and Photoshop
- Superb 3D modelling and texturing skills with both organics & hard-surface
- Strong knowledge and understanding of human anatomy, proportions, mechanics, characterisation & archetypes
- Strong knowledge of mechanical construction and functionality (gear, weapons & robotics)
- Experience of character pipelines and efficient memory management of UVs, textures and vertices
- Highly experienced working with multiple texturing workflows for current (PBR) and previous generations, capable of creating well defined and readable realistic materials.
- Substantial examples of current and past work demonstrating a strong understanding of form, silhouette, shape, texture, colour and lighting
- Understanding of character modelling, rigging and skinning in preparation for animation
- A proactive drive for efficiency in work methods & the maintenance of high standards
- A great team player, able to communicate, learn from and to teach
- Excellent communication and collaborative problem-solving skills
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Extensive experience in developing character models and textures in a variety of styles
- Minimum 3 shipped titles where credited as a character artist
- Knowledge of real-time shaders
- Strong traditional art foundations including but not limited to sculpture, conceptual design and illustration including lighting or colour keys
- Keen interest in games and game design beyond art
- Experience working within Unreal Engine 4
- Knowledge of Substance Painter and Marvelous Designer a plus
Splash Damage offers a fun, friendly and relaxed working environment. Everyone here shares a passion for video games / shooting people in the face and that shows in daily office life. We also regularly get together for social events like pub quizzes, cinema nights, football, and company parties.