Lead Backend Engineer
We founded Splash Damage with a mission to create lifelong friendships for our players and our employees by building the world's most engaging multiplayer experiences with world-leading partners. Our teams have just celebrated the launch of Gears Tactics and we're currently working on several exciting unannounced titles.
Our people always come first, and we acted swiftly to ensure that we moved all our employees to a work from home model during the COVID-19 outbreak in the UK, and this will continue for the foreseeable future. With our first-class virtual onboarding programme, we're able to get you up and running from your home during this time and we're maintaining our relaxed and welcoming culture with digital social events, daily company communications and much more. We will continue to monitor the situation in line with government advice, but we will expect you to come and work with us in our friendly studio in Bromley as and when it's safe to do so.
We're advocates for work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements to suit individual needs and a comprehensive benefits package which focuses on family and mental well-being. Together with this we've been running a formal Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme for nearly two years and are committed to increasing diversity across our studio.
At Splash Damage, we create multiplayer combat games that champion team play and promote lifelong friendships. The backend team at Splash Damage is responsible for designing, implementing and maintaining the online services that power our award winning live-service multiplayer games.
As a lead backend engineer on our new unannounced title you will provide technical leadership, architectural guidance and mentoring for the backend team. You will collaborate closely with game feature teams, but also with other disciplines such as design, gameplay and UI, to create online services to drive game features such as progression, inventories, purchasing, customer support and much more. With a strong focus on scalability and performance, you will be responsible for flexibility, reliability, performance and efficiency of our backend related services.
- Strong leadership skills, an enthusiastic attitude and team-first mentality; you give effective direction and feedback, and can nurture professional growth in your team
- Strong practical knowledge of distributed systems and scalable architecture fundamentals (including performance, consistency, communication models, etc)
- Experience building, deploying and operating services at scale
- Strong experience with cloud-hosted infrastructure automation
- Strong knowledge of Linux fundamentals
- Experience building online services using modern best practises
- Experience with the security aspects of online services
- Experience with REST services
- Proficiency with relational and non-relational databases.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.