Assistant Technical Designer
About Splash Damage
At Splash Damage, we’re dedicated to crafting team-based multiplayer games that ignite friendships as much as they do healthy competition and teamwork.
Our teams celebrated the launch of Gears Tactics earlier this year, and we’re currently developing Outcasters for Stadia along with several unannounced titles.
As an UnrealEngine focused studio, we're excited to be transitioning our teams to the latest in UE5 technology and we're looking for skilled and passionate developers to help us drive this.
We're advocates for work-life balance and offer a comprehensive benefits package focused on the well-being of our staff and their families.
We believe that teams create the best work when they have a range of perspectives and experiences to draw from. Therefore we're committed to increasing diversity across our studio, fostering an inclusive environment to ensure everyone's voices are heard.
Due to the on-going COVID-19 outbreak, we're all currently working from home. We’re still looking to welcome new team members, who'll join us remotely until we return to the studio
As Splash Damage’s Assistant Technical Designer you will be responsible for a feature, level or area of a game or multiple lesser features. Working under the supervision of other designers you will deliver end-to-end implementation, working across the team, as well as contributing to the definition of the expected quality of the game.
You will strive to ensure your work fits in as part of a unified game experience. You will communicate your designs throughout the team, soliciting feedback, documenting risks and ensuring alignment across all disciplines. You will work with the team to meet the prototyping goals as set out in the master Game Design Document (GDD). You will develop simple scripting content tasks and work to learn and improve your prototyping skills.
You will regularly communicate out progress against quality, scope and game vision alignment expectations. You will discuss and explain the rationale behind your decision making and listen, iterating on feedback from other disciplines or Designers.
You will implement feature optimisations and follow tuning plans, developing a strong understanding of metrics and development restrictions; you will own the tuning for accountable features. You will integrate relevant feedback from playtests and focus groups into the product design.
You will provide task estimates for work to your lead and to Production as well as logging work in management software. You will articulate the impact of changes to the game-design, in areas you are responsible for, to the developers on your team.
Essential Skills and Experience
- A passion for making and playing games, especially the technical aspects of their creation.
- At personal or university project taken to completion in your portfolio
- Experience with a scripting or programming language (visual or text based)
- Experience of prototyping gameplay mechanics using UE4, Unity, or similar
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience writing high quality and thorough design documentation
- The ability to work collaboratively with other disciplines
Preferred Skills and Experience
- The ability to work independently without close supervision
- Presentation skills and experience with PowerPoint
- Experience in creating first or third person shooters
- Experience as a Game Designer or Gameplay Programmer
- Experience with C# or C++
- Experience with wiki-based design documentation
- Undergraduate degree in Video Game Design, Computer Science, Entertainment or a form of technical training
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.