Assistant Level Designer
At Splash Damage, we’re dedicated to crafting team-based multiplayer games that ignite friendships as much as they do healthy competition and teamwork.
Our teams celebrated the launch of Gears Tactics earlier this year, and we’re currently developing Outcasters for Stadia along with several unannounced titles.
As an UnrealEngine focused studio, we're excited to be transitioning our teams to the latest in UE5 technology and we're looking for skilled and passionate developers to help us drive this.
We're advocates for work-life balance and offer a comprehensive benefits package focused on the well-being of our staff and their families.
We believe that teams create the best work when they have a range of perspectives and experiences to draw from. Therefore we're committed to increasing diversity across our studio, fostering an inclusive environment to ensure everyone's voices are heard.
Due to the on-going COVID-19 outbreak, we're all currently working from home. We’re still looking to welcome new team members, who'll join us remotely until we return to the studio
As Splash Damage’s Assistant Level Designer, you will:
- Work under the supervision of level designers to generate sections of new levels and to maintain existing levels
- Work under the supervision of level designers to collect and analyse playtest data and feedback, and suggest iterations on layouts accordingly, then carry out those changes with approval from level designers
- Understand the core gameplay mechanics, project goals, and target demographic
- Demonstrate a desire for learning, undertaking to understand the technical constraints of the game engine
- Understand and work within the capabilities and workflow of the game editor and level design pipeline
- Focus on gameplay aspects of the map rather than artistic elements
- Present your work to the level designers at various stages and be happy to accept positive critique all team members, regardless of discipline and experience
- Provide positive feedback to other members of the team
- Pro-actively work with the level designers to take on board knowledge, secure mentorship, and review content
- Work with production to provide estimates and ensure deliverables are provided on time and to the required level of quality
- Constantly monitor your assigned bugs and fix issues in a timely fashion to maintain stability and ensure that your levels remain playable at all times
Essential Skills and Experience
- A passion for making and playing games
- Mod-team / map-making experience with impressive community feedback and usage statistics
- Experience in creating levels for first or third person shooters
- A desire for learning best practices and processes
- A passion for environment design and architectural concepts
- The ability to work collaboratively with other disciplines
- Experience of level-building using 3D level editing tools (Unreal 3/4, Hammer, Radiant, Unity, etc)
Preferred Skills and Experience
- 'Experience working as part of a wider team on a released game or level, for example in a Game Jam'
- Experience with Unreal 4 and Blueprints
- Experience with 3DSMax, Maya, or other professional 3D modelling software
- Knowledge of gameplay event scripting and entity setup
- Traditional art skills
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop
- Experience with wiki-based design documentation
- Industry experience on a current or last gen (PS3 / Xbox 360) console or PC title that featured a multiplayer component
- Experience with design documentation, diagram and flow-chart creation
- Experience with source-control applications (SVN, Perforce, AlienBrain, etc)
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.