What we need:
Smilegate Barcelona is seeking an experienced Technical Director to lead a team of highly skilled programmers to perform most effectively, fostering a culture that balances productivity, innovation, learning, and healthy communication.
We are looking for someone with:
- The ability to operate at high and low levels. Capable of hands-on work as well as leader and mentor to your team.
- A solid understanding of the Unreal Engine and how to expand it, including its hidden limitations.
- Understanding of all game engine systems needed for an open world AAA.
- A deep desire to build up a world-class AAA team.
What the role involves:
It is working hand in hand with all other departments to identify specific needs and build a structure that supports rapid prototyping while keeping code stability in the long term.
- Coordinate with QA, Build Engineers, Gameplay, and Engine coders to define the best coding processes that balance rapid iteration with stability.
- Champion excellence in programming practices, review code and help architecting the most complex systems.
- Communicate with console manufacturers to understand and get the best of the latest generation hardware.
- Continuously monitor the performance of all game systems.
- Coordinate Engine coders are establishing code guidelines, code structure, and performance budgets.
- Help build up a world-class Programming team by being involved in the interviewing and hiring process.
- Be the mentor, guide, and leader of your team of handpicked coders.
- Provide meaningful feedback to your team through team meetings, 1on1 sessions, and 360 feedback.
- Be on top of the personal development goals of your coders, making sure there is always a healthy environment that fosters learning.
- Excellent track record - credited on at least two shipped AAA games either as Lead Engine programmer or Technical Director.
- Experience and deep working knowledge on building Game Engine components.
- Unreal Engine working experience in a modern console environment.
- Innovative thinker with creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative, interdisciplinary, iterative environment.
- Ability to lead and delegate as required.
YOUR LIFE AT SMILEGATE BARCELONA (and PERKS)
- Breakfast in the Office.
- Restaurant Tickets: approx 180 € per month (2.160€/year).
- 23 vacation days per year + Christmas to the new year (the office is closed from 24th December to2nd January).
- Develop your career working in a super exciting environment with a great working atmosphere, international work environment
- Fully stocked studio kitchen (Nescafe coffee, organic fruits, snacks, and beverages).
- 16 weeks Maternity and Paternity leave PLUS full parental flexibility
- Beer Thursdays
- Flexible Working Hours & Flexible Friday.
- Flexible working conditions of Work From Home.
- Private Health insurance, including dental coverage.
- Incredible office in Barcelona in the heart of [email protected] (games room, shower, auditorium, canteen, gym, etc.) 15min from the beach and 1 min from Glories Mall.
- Team Building Events.
- Relocation Package/assistance and VISA support.
- Much more still to come…
Are you ready to join our Smile-family? We are already excited to have you!
We value diversity and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all suitable applicants. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.