Technical Design Director
Located in the San Francisco Bay Area and Melbourne, Australia – we’re the videogame development team behind Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare 3, Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare and Call of Duty®: WWII. Since our founding in 2009, our greatest passion has been making AAA games. The strength of our team makes us not only excellent at what we do, but also how we do it. We firmly believe in supporting our talented employees to be the best they can be. Here at Sledgehammer Games, everyone is a game maker.
We’re focused on constantly evolving, innovating and taking risks – which are some of the most rewarding aspects of game development. With world-class audio, design, engineering and art teams, we’ve been able to achieve some of the highest-quality game execution of any studio in the industry. We love what we do and work hard to make sure that each new game we make is even better than the last. Creativity is key, and we’re looking for talented game developers for our exciting next project.
Sledgehammer Games is wholly owned by Activision. To learn more about our studio, please visit us at www.sledgehammergames.com or search for Sledgehammer Games on your favorite social media platform. Want to hear what it’s like at the studio directly from current employees? Check out our #LifeatSHG developer profiles: https://youtu.be/12DUBszg-w4
With the Design Team
- Identify workflow inefficiencies and propose improvements.
- Review design (inclusive of scripting) for quality and consistency of implementation, suggest improvements.
With the Game Team
- Be a Liaison to other disciplines with technical handoffs and overlap (e.g. Engineering, Animation).
- Identify pain points in workflow and pipelines. Work with relevant disciplines to propose solutions.
Project & Studio
- Provide risk assessment and scoping for game design (LD/GD)
- Create and maintain technical documentation for design & scripting standards and best practices.
- Analyze internal tools. Propose improvements and work with the team on priorities.
- Stay up-to-date with outside industry tools and technology.
- Train team on tools and new features.
- A sharp eye for quality and the skills to execute against it.
- The ability to give and receive feedback well.
- A willingness to reach out to partner studios and central teams to build best practice within the studio.
- The ability to influence and federate the team to adopt best practices.
- The ability to propose scalable, robust visions for the future of the Design family.
- Seven or more years of direct game development experience. Proven success, or relevant experience, in driving team results through strong leadership
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proven problem solving and trouble-shooting skills
- Experience managing change
- Strong portfolio of work in current-gen engines
- Experience developing first-person shooters (not required)
- Strong creative and technical design skills.
- Ability to conceptualize and communicate an engaging gameplay experience and the technical ability to carry out your vision.
- Experience in Radiant, UnrealEd, Hammer, or other first-person shooter level editors.
- 10+ years professional game design experience with heavy emphasis on Technical Design.
- Self-motivated with the highest level of attention to detail.
- Works well in a team environment.
- Strong communication skills.
- Takes and understands direction and feedback well, meets deadlines and handles multiple tasks.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Sledgehammer Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.