Senior Lighting Artist
Your PlatformLocated in the San Francisco Bay Area and Melbourne, Australia were the videogame development team behind Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Call of Duty: WWII. Since our founding in 2009, our greatest passion has been making AAA games. The strength of our team makes us not only excellent at what we do, but also how we do it. We firmly believe in supporting our talented employees to be the best they can be. Here at Sledgehammer Games, everyone is a game maker.
As we head into decade II of development, were focused on constantly evolving, innovating and taking risks which are some of the most rewarding aspects of game development. With world-class audio, design, engineering and art teams, weve been able to achieve some of the highest-quality game execution of any studio in the industry. We love what we do and work hard to make sure that each new game we make is even better than the last. Creativity is key, and were looking for talented game developers for our exciting next project.
As our newest teammate, you will work side by side with our Lighting Leads. Together, you will help execute some of the most awe-inspiring landscapes in video games. You and our team will be accomplishing this by having routine 1:1s, weekly team meetings, you will have an in-depth training period, and open dialog / high communication with adjacent teams. We move fast, and in-order to join our ranks, please see the below criteria.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Responsible for creating game-play and in-game cinematic lighting based on direction from the Art Director and Lighting Lead for campaign and multiplayer.
- Ensure a high level of quality while maintaining a full production load.
- Ensure that lighting assets meet runtime and disk budgeting requirements.
- Anticipate, identify, and report any potential production problems and communicate those to the Lead.
- Work collaboratively with other departments, especially Environment, Character, and VFX.
- Work in and maintain an efficient organization structure for all lighting assets.
- Stay current with industry lighting techniques.
- Bachelors degree, or equivalent art portfolio.
- 6 years in the video game industry.
- Strong understanding of lighting fundamentals.
- Knowledge of color theory and strong sense of light and shadow.
- Understanding of composition and the ability to enhance mood with lighting.
- Effectively use Color Grading and Post Effects to enhance the final image.
- Working knowledge of industry standard rendering concepts and processes.
- An eye for perfection.
- Working knowledge of creating lighting within a pre-baked light-map pipeline.
- Unreal, Unity, Proprietary Engines experience.
- Experience with one or more scripting/programming languages.
- Experience with PBR & HDR lighting.
- Knowledge of photography principals and image correction techniques.
- Experience playing Call of Duty or Similar First-Person-Shooters.
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Overwatch, Diablo, Candy Crush and Bubble Witch. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for Every World - weve got our employees covered!