Outsource Artist - Weapons & Vehicles
Located in the San Francisco Bay Area and Melbourne, Australia – we’re the videogame development team behind Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare 3, Call of Duty®: Advanced Warfare and Call of Duty®: WWII. Since our founding in 2009, our greatest passion has been making AAA games. The strength of our team makes us not only excellent at what we do, but also how we do it. We firmly believe in supporting our talented employees to be the best they can be. Here at Sledgehammer Games, everyone is a game maker.
As we head into decade II of development, we’re focused on constantly evolving, innovating and taking risks – which are some of the most rewarding aspects of game development. With world-class audio, design, engineering and art teams, we’ve been able to achieve some of the highest-quality game execution of any studio in the industry. We love what we do and work hard to make sure that each new game we make is even better than the last. Creativity is key, and we’re looking for talented game developers for our exciting next project.
Sledgehammer Games is wholly owned by Activision.
As an Outsource Artist, you will be responsible for elevating the quality and fidelity of the weapon and vehicle assets for our next blockbuster game. You will act as the final gate for quality, checking that each asset adheres to our strict technical and quality guidelines and fixing and giving feedback for those that don’t. This position will focus on weapons and vehicles and is open to both mid-level and senior-level talent. A portfolio of work is required to be considered for this position.
Priorities can often change in a fast-paced environment like ours, so this role includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Help to define and champion the quality bar for Weapons and Vehicles
- Model and texture high quality 3D weapons and vehicles
- Take Outsource content and give it the final polish it needs for completion
- Assist in asset reviews, critiques, and establishing best practices for external and internal teams.
- Create and maintain high quality documentation detailing process, best practice, references etc.
- Mentor and direct integration artists on final polish.
- Troubleshoot technical and artistic issues.
- Communicate effectively with outsource partners, team members, production and management to ensure that project goals are met.
- Interface with Tech Art to help drive asset creation workflow and tool chain improvements
- 5+ years of experience creating high-quality 3D art assets for AAA games
- Specialization in Hard surface modeling and proper baking setup and workflows
- Ability to create realistic 3D weapons and vehicles, and textures from concept art and photo reference.
- Deep understanding of physically based shaders
- Proficient in next-gen asset creation.
- Strong written and verbal skills to facilitate documentation.
- Highly proficient in Maya, Substance Painter, Photoshop and Zbrush.
- Passion for gaming.
- Experience with a level editor (i.e. Unreal, Unity, Frostbite, Radiant, etc.)
- Strong understanding of fundamental art skills and foundations
- First Person Shooter development experience
- Experience working with outsource studios
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Sledgehammer Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.