SkyBox Labs is a game development studio that works on some of the world’s most iconic games. Our projects include working as a co-developer on Halo Infinite, projects in the Minecraft Universe, supporting the development of Magic: The Gathering Arena, and more. As one of Vancouver’s fastest-growing game studios, since our inception in 2011, SkyBox Labs has evolved from a group of 8 people developing independent projects to a team of over 200+ engineers, artists, designers, producers, and more.
SkyBox Labs is looking for an experienced VFX Artist to join an exciting new SkyBox development initiative. This AAA game is one of the most popular on the planet! If your skills include conjuring up mystical effects, and you're keen on making meaningful contributions to a renowned franchise, apply today!
- Create a broad range of stunning, real-time visual effects for the game, with an emphasis on magical effects
- Use Photoshop, 3D Studio Max, and a robust set of proprietary tools to create fantastical effects
- Break down visual effects into component content types (particle FX, shader FX, mesh FX, post-process, animation, decal, lighting, etc.)
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to drive key changes for new game features
- 4+ years of experience within game development proven through a robust portfolio which showcases a strong range of visual effects
- Experience creating VFX pipelines, which has given you a strong understanding of industry-standard software tools
- Ability to understand performance restraints and come up with optimization plans
- Proficient in node-based shaders, Photoshop, and 3D packages
- Excellence at developing pre-visualization or concept assets that can convey your vision before final asset execution
- Programming or scripting experience in any language (C++ / Python / HLSL)
- Animation background with experience using Houdini, Fume FX, Maya fluids tools, or Substance Designer
Please note, only those with professional game experience will be considered for this role, and all applications must include a portfolio.
A Culture of Empowerment, Collaboration and Personal Growth
Our studio’s success can be attributed to our culture of empowerment, collaboration and personal growth.
At SkyBox Labs, you can contribute to industry-leading titles, from legendary AAA franchises to independent IP, without compromising on culture. As a rapidly growing independent company, we maintain a ‘small studio’ feel with our flat structure, leading with authenticity, and fostering connection.
We relentlessly support your growth and development. From team building through personal interest groups and clubs to studio-wide knowledge sharing through learning lunches, and more formalized programs like SkyBox U, we support our team every step of the way.
One major thing that we’re proud of is that we’ve been able to grow to the studio that we are today while ultimately cultivating an environment of trust and mutual respect where you can thrive. We value our team members’ diverse backgrounds, hobbies, skills, and interests and we celebrate them! This is demonstrated through our broad spectrum of social clubs: Join our soccer team, fitness group, or one of our many D&D groups - you can even start your own!
Work During COVID-19
In order to keep our employees, candidates and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, the majority of our teams are working from home within Canada, with plans to a return in a hybrid capacity later in 2022. All interviewing, onboarding, and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
SkyBox Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.