Gameplay Systems Engineer | Minecraft
Build amazing experiences in Halo Infinite, connect players across platforms in Minecraft, unleash your creativity on original IP or think strategy with Magic: The Gathering Arena. SkyBox Labs is a game development studio that works on some of the world’s most iconic games. Our current projects include working as a co-developer on Halo Infinite, projects in the Minecraft Universe, supporting the development of Magic: The Gathering Arena, and original title, Stela. As one of Vancouver’s fastest-growing game studios, since our inception in 2011, SkyBox Labs has evolved from a group of 8 people developing independent projects to a team of over 200 engineers, artists, designers, producers, and more.
SkyBox Labs is looking for an experienced and ambitious Software Engineer to join our Minecraft Gameplay Systems team! With a current focus on world generation and optimization, you will help us contribute to the expanding world of Minecraft by working on a variety of gameplay systems shipping to multiple platforms, resulting in rich player experiences and in-depth worlds to explore.
- Design and implement gameplay systems related to world generation, performance and optimization
- Drive engine and feature improvements, optimize and refactor code, and identify and solve performance issues
- Test software and address bug issues as needed
- Participate in code reviews and provide constructive feedback on how to develop and improve processes, tools and workflows
- Build strong relationships and communicate effectively with both internal team members and our external partners
- Identify and provide updates on technology risks and obstacles to technical directors and project managers
- Learn new technologies and systems to meet our technical and business needs
- Professional software development experience in games or a related industry
- Strong proficiency in C++ is required
- Experience designing, developing and maintaining software systems
- Excellent optimization and debugging skills
- A creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-directed and takes initiative in order to drive progress
- Experience shipping one or more game titles
- Experience providing technical leadership and/or mentorship to other engineers
- A passion for Minecraft or games in general!
A Culture of Empowerment, Collaboration and Personal Growth
Our studio’s success can be attributed to our culture of empowerment, collaboration and personal growth. We employ a flat structure where all team members are heard, respected and trusted. We encourage knowledge sharing and personal growth through our many Lunch & Learns and frequent feedback. This culture is underscored by our strong commitment to work-life balance.
One major thing that we’re proud of is that we’ve been able to grow a 200 person studio while cultivating an inclusive grassroots culture. We value our team members’ various backgrounds, hobbies, skills, and interests and this is demonstrated through our broad spectrum of social clubs: Join our soccer team, fitness group, potluck club, or one of our many D&D groups - you can even start your own!
Work During COVID-19
In order to keep our employees, candidates and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, the majority of our teams are working from home within Canada. All interviewing, onboarding, and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
SkyBox Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Learn more about us on our website.
Although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.