Vice President of Corporate Communications
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $77 billion in 2020 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What We’re Looking For
Skillz is looking for a world-class Corporate Communications leader who will work closely with our Head of Comms and executive team to drive strategy and results. This proactive, collaborative individual should be a creative and innovative storyteller who will explore both new and established approaches to achieve our goals. The role will oversee all corporate communications efforts, including business and trade media relations, financial communications, thought leadership, internal communications, reputation management and crisis/issues management. The ideal candidate will have experience driving measurable results in a fast-paced environment and demonstrated success building, scaling, and managing teams. It's also important for the VP to establish credibility at the executive level and be well-versed in championing consensus and approval for cross-functional efforts.
What You Will Do
- Develop and lead our corporate communications strategy, ensuring it is aligned with company leadership and overall business strategy
- Partner closely with the Head of Comms and other senior members of the Communications team to develop engaging, impactful narratives about Skillz and its products, including the contributions the company makes to society, its meteoric growth, and what makes it a best place to work
- Attract, retain, and cultivate a world-class corporate communications team
- Onboard and manage agency partners as required, resulting in meaningful ROI
- Lead a robust media relations function, delivering exceptional results that effectively position Skillz – maintaining strong working relationships with business, financial, technology, and trade media
- Leverage both earned and owned channels to ensure that Skillz is valued appropriately in the eyes of customers, partners, employees, investors, the media, and influencers as an industry leader
- Consult and advise executives on corporate communications matters
- Senior communications executive with at least 15+ years of work experience leading and scaling communications teams in fast-paced, high-growth business and technology environments
- Foundational experience in journalism and media relations is desirable, as is the combination of PR agency and in-house leadership roles
- An understanding of the startup-to-public technology company journey and culture, and the challenges of evolving a narrative to keep pace with that change
- Experience with crisis communications and change management, and ability to maintain calm under fire
- Solid media contacts among business, trade and/or tech outlets, as well as ability to build new relationships quickly
- 10+ years of people management experience, with the demonstrated ability to recruit, develop, and retain top talent
- An intuitive and effective manager and mentor, who is capable of both counseling senior communications leaders and growing junior team members alike
- Proven ability to run and deliver results on large-scale, complex projects under tight deadlines through rigorous planning and ruthless prioritization
- Business development mindset where communications directly contributes to business objectives
- Exceptional writer and dynamic communicator
- Entrepreneurial and a hands-on style with a strong bias for action and results while working effectively in an innovative, unstructured environment that values collaboration without ego
- Operates at a high level of intensity, acting with a sense of urgency without sacrificing excellence
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.