SVP of Revenue
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
Skillz is pioneering the competitive mobile gaming experience, leveraging its patented technology to power over two billion esports tournaments a year. The company is headquartered in San Francisco and backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports leagues and franchises.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Who We're Looking For
Skillz is looking for a Senior Vice President of Revenue to drive aggressive growth and expansion of the business. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, you’ll be responsible for effectively scaling the company’s existing revenue streams and launching new ones. You’ll lead a team driving triple digit growth of both players and game developers and oversee the company’s talent acquisition and management systems to drive the entire organization’s scale.
Reporting to the CRO, you are an elite-caliber professional who will be instrumental in the development and execution of the strategic and operational plans for one of today’s hottest media and entertainment companies. You will play a pivotal role in a business that has a growing network effect in an industry of billions of people. Your leadership will help make Skillz a service that is the pivotal focus of the gaming and entertainment industries for the next 10+ years.
To be successful you should have extensive experience managing sales, marketing and business development in a large high-growth entrepreneurial company. Ideally, you have either already lived through the hyper-growth of a multi-billion dollar public company, and are hungry to do it again bigger and better to create an industry-defining company!
Responsibilities & Competencies
- Drive growth - Oversee sales, marketing and business development functions, deploying a nine figure annual budget to scale the Skillz developer and consumer ecosystems at efficiency
- Develop the ecosystem - Set and guide strategy to optimize ecosystem retention, monetization and growth
- Commercialize new revenue streams - Successfully launch and scale new revenue streams from brand sponsorship and advertising. Oversee the company’s first international product launches
- Scale the team - Roll out highly efficient, process-driven talent management practices that enable uncompromisingly elite hiring and meritocratic performance management
- Own the P&L - Ensure that the organization and its leaders are delivering ‘investable plans’ for each planning cycle (short, mid, and long-term) while being held accountable to results based OKRs and KPIs.
- Build scalable processes - Build departmental systems and automate processes to enable the company to scale while achieving efficiency gains and quality improvements on a sequential basis.
- Previous executive experience at a hyper-growth company. Public company executive experience strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to successfully launch new business lines
- Deep experience overseeing sales, marketing, business development and operations
- Proven ability to balance the day-to-day operations while driving strategic vision
- Uncompromising eye for talent
Personal Attributes and Values
- Self-confident, self-motivated, self-driven leader who will speak up and does not succumb to groupthink. Comfortable weighing in or articulating a contrarian point of view in a collaborative setting. Embraces healthy conflict based on a foundation of trust in order to reach the best possible outcome
- Self-aware, collaborative, and open to feedback without becoming defensive or taking things personally
- Straightforward, no-nonsense style. Calm and level-headed under pressure.
- World-class communicator who leads by example and inspires teams at all levels of the organization
- Impeccable integrity and ethical standards. Honest, honorable, straightforward, and accustomed to driving alignment with peers and colleagues
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance