(Closed) Software Engineer - Backend (Sync Gaming)
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
What you'll do:
- Add exciting new synchronous game play features to our world-class tournament server platform enabling competitions, tournaments and social features for players, spectators and streamers around the world
- Work with a variety of amazing cloud-based datastore technologies on AWS such as ElasticSearch, Redis, DynamoDB, MySQL RDS & Snowflake
- Collaborate with teammates who care about building great products as much as you do
- 2+ years of C++ language experience
- Experience in Java and Elixir is a plus
- Experience in building Spring-based and/or Phoenix-based RESTful web services is a plus
- Experience with AWS or other cloud provider is a huge plus
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.