Software Development Engineer in Test
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Who we’re looking for:
You’re ready to take the next step in your Data Engineering career - to a fast-moving, successful company building out their next-generation streaming analytics infrastructure! You love data consistency and integrity. You consider yourself scrappy and a technologist, passionate about data infrastructure... with your attention to detail and insistence on doing things correctly, you know you can make a big impact on a small team! You’re an excellent communicator and know that you grow faster from being able to mentor others.
What you’ll do:
- Design, implement, execute and debug automated test cases and scripts for our UI and API
- Analyze and strategically improve current QA practices to provide high quality and scalable testing solutions
- Find and document bugs, defects, and regressions for complex features
- Validate and document completion of testing and development
- Work closely with one or more Product and Engineering development teams to test the full stack of our products
- Verify fixes to Qualify major and minor releases to production
- Maintain CI pipeline and test data sets
- Mentor and coach fellow engineers, through code reviews and brainstorming sessions
- Build a world-class tournament system for mobile games
- 2+ years of relevant experience writing test automation scripts for both UI and APIs
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming principles
- Strong understanding of automated software testing principles in an agile model
- Demonstrated ability to execute and improve upon existing QA processes and workflows
- Eager to learn new tools and technologies and apply them to your job and team
- Knowledge and experience with Git or other SCM required
- Experience using defect tracking solutions required (JIRA)
- Experience with CI/CD tools (Jenkins)
- Experience with HTTP/Web application testing
- Excellent written / verbal communication
- Experience with performance test scripts a plus (Gatling)
- Experience with TestRail a plus
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.