Senior Manager of Internal Communications
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $77 billion in 2020 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross , Susan G. Komen , American Cancer Society , and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies , a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50 , one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups , and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What We’re Looking For:
Skillz is looking for a world-class internal communications professional to join our growing team. In this position, you will play a critical role in developing and executing internal communications strategies and materials. This person is responsible for ensuring we communicate with Skillzians in a clear, concise, and thoughtful manner by writing, editing, reviewing, and proofing all internal communications. You will use your communications skills to amplify our culture and strategic vision and mission, championing connections among teams and driving business results through upbeat communications that leave employees energized, informed, and inspired to do their best work.
What You Will Do:
- Develop and run our internal communications strategy, ensuring it is aligned with company leadership and overall business strategy
- Write/edit and oversee production of internal communication pieces for audiences including executives, leadership, management, specific departments, and the general employee population
- Partner closely with members of the Communications, Workplace, and HR teams to develop engaging, impactful internal narratives about Skillz, including the contributions the company makes to society, its meteoric growth, and what makes it a best place to work
- Thoughtfully leverage appropriate internal channels to ensure that Skillzians are informed and inspired, including email, intranet, Slack channels, and company-wide meetings
- Develop and manage company’s intranet platform
- Drive leadership messaging, talking points, and speeches for monthly Town Halls and other employee gatherings
- Identify opportunities to share organization milestones with the broader company audience, providing proactive and reactive messaging that supports key initiatives and program rollouts
- Review and edit all team member communications to employees to ensure clear, concise, and accurate messaging that is aligned with company brand and goals
- Drive the strategy and implementation of the company’s internal intranet, bringing it to life as a hub of internal news, content, and resources for employees
- Consult and advise cross-functional leaders on internal communications matters
- Proactively identify new opportunities and develop new programs to continually up-level our internal communications program
- Track and measure the success of internal communication strategies and campaigns, implementing adjustments as needed to increase employee engagement and understanding
- 6+ years of internal communications work experience in fast-paced, high-growth business and technology environments
- Knowledge of company journey and culture, and the challenges of evolving a narrative to keep pace with that change
- Experience with a startup-to-public technology company is a plus, but not required
- Experience with change management, and ability to maintain calm under fire
- An intuitive and effective manager and mentor, who is capable of both counseling senior leaders and growing junior team members alike
- Well-versed in developing internal communication plans, managing projects, and creating internal messaging
- Experience writing and turning complex concepts and information into relevant, engaging, timely, and valuable content for the broad employee base
- Experience in developing and running a company intranet platform, including creating and delivering impactful editorial and content strategies
- Passionate about the Skillzian experience and the essential role that creative and contemporary internal communications play in helping to align, engage, and inspire employees
- Proven ability to run and deliver results on large-scale, complex projects under tight deadlines through rigorous planning and ruthless prioritization
- Exceptional organizational, verbal, and written communication skills, as well as attention to detail and accuracy
- Entrepreneurial and a hands-on style with a strong bias for action and results while working effectively in an innovative, unstructured environment that values collaboration without ego
- Operates at a high level of intensity, acting with a sense of urgency without sacrificing excellence
- Knowledge of current and emerging internal communications technology, tools, channels, and best practices, and ability to recommend and implement best practices
- Enthusiastic team player who excels at working collaboratively with executives and colleagues alike, consistently delivering high-quality work even under time constraints
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance .