Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer
Vancouver BC, Denver, Las Vegas
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for a booming mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with access to fun and fair competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make esports accessible to anyone, anywhere.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 20,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host billions of casual esports tournaments for 30 million players worldwide.
Last year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
As a member of the Infrastructure team you will be responsible for the technical foundations powering Skillz. This includes:
- Designing, implementing, and delivering core platform infrastructure and services to production
- Understanding the needs of Skillz engineering teams and develop tooling to increase development efficiency
- Proactively maintain availability of Skillz’s cloud infrastructure
- Work closely with engineering teams to constantly improve stability and observability of all services in the Skillz ecosystem
- Enable and manage seamless upgrades of infrastructure and services through automation
- Leverage container platforms such as Kubernetes for large scale deployment of microservices
- Design, deploy, and manage Skillz’s infrastructure in public clouds (AWS or GCP)
- Identify, gather, analyze and automate responses to key performance metrics, logs, and alerts
- Ensure infrastructure security compliance
- Disaster recovery planning and regional failover testing
- Automatic scaling of infrastructure and services
- Conduct post-mortems to analyze and prevent repeat failures
- Develop and optimize continuous integration and deployment processes (CI/CD)
- Conduct periodic on call duties as needed on a regular scheme basis
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Fluent in one or more of: Go, Python, Java, or Ruby
- Deep knowledge of containerization and cloud services frameworks in both Kubernetes and AWS
- 4+ years of experience as a DevOps engineer, Site Reliability Engineer, Cloud Infrastructure or backend engineering
- Interest in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
- Ability to debug and optimize code and automate routine tasks.
- Excellent skills in process, documentation, and change management.
- Experience with logging, monitoring, and alerting tools such as New Relic, ELK, DataDog, and PagerDuty
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status.