(Closed) Payroll Manager
Today, people spend more time playing video games than they do playing all physical sports, and eSports are poised to become bigger than the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL combined. Skillz provides the technology that powers an eSports industry forecast to exceed as much as $40 billion in revenue by 2020.
As the eSports provider for over 8,000 game developers, Skillz enables any mobile game to be turned into a competitive eSport that can also be broadcast on major streaming sites like Twitch and YouTube. We do this by integrating our unique layer of code directly into a mobile app, which activates our end-to-end tournament administration and other important features like player matching, anti-cheating mechanisms, customer support and a built-in loyalty program. Using our patented technology stack, we’ve already hosted more than 500 million tournaments for 15 million players around the world.
Skillz has raised over $53 million in funding from sources including Telstra, Liberty Global, and the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets and Sacramento Kings. In our quest to make gaming better for players and developers, we’re looking for savvy, driven and enthusiastic teammates to help us build the future of sports. If you’re excited about defining a multibillion dollar industry, building an awesome product, or working with cutting-edge technology, Skillz just might be for you!
We are true believers in electronic sports, so don’t be surprised if you see us playing mobile games at our desks or in the kitchen. At Skillz, this type of behavior is encouraged! You can also catch us at our weekly game nights playing anything from Super Mario Kart to Codenames over dinner, while discussing new technologies or brainstorming ideas to improve our business.
Not a “gamer”? Don’t worry about it. Every Skillzian brings a unique perspective to the team, and we bond over plenty of activities that don’t involve games. We’re working to build a truly groundbreaking company, and we want top-notch people to join us in that mission. As the creators and leaders of a new marketplace, we work with a “do whatever it takes” mentality, and frankly, we get the job done!
Our team is comprised of passionate, intelligent and creative individuals who consistently seek out new challenges and knowledge. We embrace out-of-the-box strategies to propel our business forward, and foster a culture where every person’s voice is heard. Our team comes from diverse backgrounds, and our leaders have a strong history of funding and building successful enterprises. If you're up for the challenge, we’d love to meet you.
Who we’re looking for:
We are seeking a self-motivated, system-savvy, team player with a strong base of payroll management experience within a technology company. This position will own the payroll function on a day-to-day basis to ensure timely and accurate payroll, and will be responsible for preparing payroll, as well as recording and reconciling payroll related financial information to the general ledger. In addition, this position will be an important partner for HR, Legal, and Finance to ensure that process improvements are implemented and support of the business. This position will ensure that payroll is able to keep pace with internal and external business and compliance requirements of the company.
What you’ll do:
- Effectively manage and execute all aspects of bi-weekly, multi-state employee payrolls ensuring accuracy, compliance and outstanding service goals are consistently met
- Research discrepancies of payroll information and/or documentation to ensure payroll accuracy
- Review current procedures and partner with key business partners to recommend and implement process improvements and establish best-practices
- Identify and resolve employee payroll issues.
- Develop and maintain documentation of key payroll related processes
- Knowledge of ADP payroll and other payrolls systems provide support for ongoing integration projects of ERP and HRIS
- Prepare payroll journal entries, perform GL mapping, perform payroll related account analysis, record monthly accrual entries and reconcile payroll and benefit-related general ledger accounts on a timely basis
- Prepare and oversee preparation of a variety of payroll related documents (e.g. retirement plan contributions, FSA/HSA balances, payroll register, W-2, worker’s compensation, PTO, local tax) for the purposes of compliance, internal control and audit
- Ensure compliance with all internal policies and controls as well as compliance with external laws and regulatory guidance
- Monitor tax notices, wage orders, and governmental correspondences; record tax payments and perform reconciliations in a timely manner
- Maintain/expand knowledge of existing and new payroll related legislation
- Ad hoc projects as required
- Support 401(k) and financial statement audit
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting or Other Degree combined with relevant experience
- 8 + years payroll experience
- Experience with an array of payroll systems; ADP strongly preferred
- Payroll equity experience required
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation strongly preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Working knowledge of accounting concepts, including experience preparing and reviewing payroll-related journal entries and account reconciliations
- Thorough knowledge of Federal and State wage laws
- Demonstrated process improvement experience
- Strong customer service skills and collaboration with internal and external business partners