(Closed) Head of Total Rewards
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50(for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
As a member of the People Operations Leadership Team, the Head of Total Rewards will provide strategic leadership for the design, development and administration of Skillz compensation, rewards, benefits, and recognition programs. This is a highly visible and cross-functional role that will collaborate with Leadership, Finance, Legal and other teams in order to build a world-class rewards experience for Skillz employees. Skillz’s success is a testament to the remarkable Skillzians who have joined the company, allowing us to grow by over 100% every year since inception. Now, we need an equally remarkable leader who can scale our total rewards program to keep up with the growth.
What you will do:
- Own and evolve the company’s compensation, incentive and benefits programs to drive business results and an exceptional employee experience
- Develop communication materials and lead manager trainings to educate employees on Skillz’s compensation philosophies and programs, including stock based compensation
- Design and recommend benefits programs by assessing employee requirements, reviewing competitor and general industry practices, and analyzing cost impact/effectiveness
- Partner with HRBPs to advise and influence business leaders in compensation strategy, programs and issues
- Strategize with the Recruiting team to develop competitive offers rooted in market data and aligned with our compensation philosophy, for new hires and existing employees
- Work collaboratively across the People Acquisition and Retention team to improve the department’s processes, workflow and systems
- Build and manage a team of HR professionals
- 6+ years of work experience in people ops, with extensive track record developing compensation and benefits strategies
- History of promotion/advancement and increasing responsibility
- Quantitative and data-driven — able to draw insights from data while making strong intuitive decisions when data is imperfect or unattainable
- Proven track record for hiring and managing highly performant people-ops teams
- Can-do attitude. Hungry and energized to hit ambitious goals
- Ability to build structure & process in a rapid-growth environment
- Passion for people operations and a continuous improvement mentality
- CCP, CBP or SPHR certification a plus
- Experience in fast-growth startup environments a plus