(Closed) Global Head of Business Development
Multiple locations: San Francisco, Los Angeles, Portland, Las Vegas, Vancouver BC
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $86 billion last year to $161 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SKLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of San Francisco Business Times’ Best Places to Work, Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Parity.org’s Best Companies for Women to Advance, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
Who we’re looking for:
Skillz is seeking a driven business development executive to focus on building deeper and broader relationships crossing the mobile and technology industries while scaling a high performing business development team. This leader will have a history of generating value for new technology ventures and success with cross disciplinary deals in the carrier, OEM and/or mobile technology space.
What you’ll do:
- Grow, scale, and develop a world class Business Development team
- Identify, evaluate, negotiate, and close strategic deals such as acquisitions, investments, JVs, and other partnerships in an aggressive time frame
- Lead our partnership efforts with distribution partners, mobile carriers, OEMs, and more
- Commercialize new product lines
- Develop and execute GTM strategy into international markets
- Develop business models to analyze deals and performance
- Drive the relationship building process at multiple levels between partners and Skillz
- Work with our internal teams to ensure organizational understanding of partner requirements
- Build and manage a process for effective partnership due diligence (business and technical)
- Synthesize multiple sources of information to develop a coherent understanding of market opportunities, emerging customer needs, and the competitive landscape.
- Minimum 12 years of relevant business development experience
- Minimum 7 years of people management experience; growing, scaling, and mentoring
- Prior partnership experience across diverse verticals and markets
- Proven track record of qualifying, scoping and closing revenue generating partner programs
- Ability manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment and deliver on key milestones
- Outstanding ability to establish and maintain a strong deal pipeline
- Skilled at structuring and negotiating complex partnerships
- Experience defining strategic long-term organizational goals
- Excellent executive communication and presence with senior management
- Previous growth stage company experience is beneficial
- MBA from top school strongly preferred