(Closed) Editor in Chief
What We’re Looking For:
We are looking for a world-class writer who will work closely with our communications team to create a unique voice for Skillz, drive compelling content, and further elevate our brand as a thought leader. This proactive, collaborative individual should be a creative and innovative storyteller who will explore both new and established approaches to achieve our goals. The position calls for unparalleled editing expertise and extensive writing experience. The role will oversee the creation of content including press releases, byline articles, executive speeches, talking points, and more. The ideal candidate will have experience driving material creation and strategy through a journalism and/or corporate content background.
What You Will Do:
- Create and edit compelling materials for our key audiences, making digestible content out of complex topics and finding the best angle for every announcement.
- Edit copy and ensure a high standard of messaging and writing quality for all communications assets, ensuring content is accurate, adheres to voice, tone, and style guidance, and follows best practices.
- Collaborate with the communications team to surface and develop a pipeline of stories (including industry thought leadership, customer successes, business momentum, and workplace culture) that can be leveraged in the media or company-published materials.
- Partner closely with the communications team to develop engaging narratives about Skillz and its products, including the contributions the company makes to society, its meteoric growth, and what makes it a best place to work.
- Leverage both earned and owned channels to ensure that Skillz is valued in the eyes of customers, partners, employees, investors, the media, and influencers as an industry leader.
- Work with designers to create powerful messaging supported by compelling visual design, forming a true partnership between words and visuals to tell the best stories.
- 10+ years of experience in journalism, communications, content marketing, or publishing, with an emphasis on writing and editing.
- Talented writer/editor/storyteller who can balance the big picture and the details, exercising strong judgment and creative problem-solving.
- Experience writing for high-profile publications, individuals, or organizations, from executives to leading startups and brands.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with deep knowledge of grammar and AP style.
- A keen eye for detail, ability to work independently, and outstanding time management and organizational skills.
- Natural drive to meet deadlines, bring order to chaos, and deliver excellent work.
- Expertise in writing for different formats and mediums, including both long-form and short-form, both formal and casual.
- Hands-on style with a strong bias for action and results, while working effectively in an innovative, unstructured environment that values collaboration without ego.
- Operates at a high level of intensity, acting with a sense of urgency without sacrificing excellence.
- A bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, English, or other related fields preferred.