(Closed) DevOps Engineer
As the eSports provider for over 8,000 game developers, the Skillz platform enables any mobile game to be turned into a competitive eSport that can also be broadcast on major streaming sites like Twitch and YouTube. We do this by integrating our unique layer of code directly into a mobile app, which activates our end-to-end tournament administration and other important features like player matching, anti-cheating mechanisms, customer support and a built-in loyalty program. Using our patented technology stack, we’ve already hosted more than 500 million tournaments for 15 million players around the world.
Skillz has raised over $53 million in funding from sources including Telstra, Liberty Global, and the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets and Sacramento Kings. In our quest to make gaming better for players and developers, we’re looking for savvy, driven and enthusiastic teammates to help us build the future of sports. If you’re excited about defining a multibillion dollar industry, building an awesome product, or working with cutting-edge technology, Skillz just might be for you!
Our team is comprised of passionate, intelligent and creative individuals who consistently seek out new challenges and knowledge. We embrace out-of-the-box strategies to propel our business forward, and foster a culture where every person’s voice is heard. Our team comes from diverse backgrounds, and our leaders have a strong history of funding and building successful enterprises. If you're up for the challenge, we’d love to meet you
Who We’re Looking For:
You’re ready to take the next step in your DevOps career - to a fast-moving, successful company building out their next-generation cloud infrastructure! You love to build tools and share your expertise with other engineers, accelerating their work on game-changing ideas. You consider yourself a hacker and a technologist, passionate about computing infrastructure and automation... with your attention to detail and insistence on doing things correctly, you know you can make a big impact on a small team!
What You’ll Do:
- Design and implement cloud infrastructure to support millions of connections for eSports tournaments at scale.
- Maintain and improve the build pipeline that delivers code from Engineers to production, as well as testing and deployment for infrastructure-as-code.
- Develop instrumentation for analytics and alerting. Collect and report on meaningful data to improve costs, reliability, and performance.
- Detect, analyze, and fix faults with infrastructure components; propose design changes that eliminate weaknesses and obstacles to scaling reliably.
- Provide infrastructure expertise to application and mobile engineering groups, evangelize DevOps principles and enable others to self-help.
- Participate in the 24/7 on call rotation with full support from the whole Engineering team.
- Independent and resourceful; able to assess, plan, and execute in unfamiliar conditions.
- Able to re-prioritize on the fly and respond to ad-hoc events.
- 2+ years of interesting experience working in cloud software development; experience on a dedicated Cloud Infrastructure or DevOps role preferred.
- Strong documentation skills.
- Basic familiarity with interactive Bash and Bash scripts, and at least 1 other commonly-used infrastructure utility programming language including: Python, Ruby, or Golang.
- Exposure to or a general understanding of the following products and technologies:
- Commodity Infrastructure providers such as AWS and GCP.
- Docker and container orchestrator systems like ECS or Kubernetes.
- Configuration Management software, such as Terraform, Puppet, Chef, or Ansible.
- Build pipeline tools like Jenkins, Travis, or CircleCI.
- Relational database systems such as MySQL/RDS or Postgres/Redshift; Document or K/V databases such as Elasticsearch, MongoDB, or DynamoDB.
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.