Corporate Development Lead
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for a booming mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with access to fun and fair competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make esports accessible to anyone, anywhere.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 20,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host billions of casual esports tournaments for 30 million players worldwide.
Last year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
You will support the VP Finance and work cross-functionally across product, BD, sales, marketing, and customer success teams to lead all Corporate Development activities across the organization.
- Independently lead deal-making across all corporate finance and corporate development activities.
- Support the development of our M&A strategy, priorities and pipeline.
- Research the market landscape to identify acquisition, joint venture, partnership, and strategic investment opportunities.
- Source, evaluate, close, and integrate acquisition and investment opportunities in collaboration with key stakeholders.
- Build out the corporate development function, including hiring, mentoring and developing employees.
- Prepare memos and presentations to synthesize key findings and recommendations.
- BS/BA degree required – candidates with an MBA preferred.
- 6 to 8 years of experience including in management consulting and/or investment banking in internet and/or software.
- Ability to quickly understand complex issues and develop/apply simplifying frameworks to facilitate broader organizational understanding, decision-making and action.
- Proficient at leveraging analytics, data, financial models and insights to drive decision-making.
- Outcome oriented with very strong ability to personally create high quality, customer-facing presentations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent project management skills; able to effectively manage multiple ongoing projects to meet deadlines.
- Experience with internet and/or video gaming industry preferred but not required.