(Closed) Chief Marketing Officer
Skillz is the marketplace driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for a rapidly growing mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game makers by connecting them to players, helping anyone embrace their inner champion. Skillz enables fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes for anyone, anywhere. .The company has already worked with 17,500 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 1.5 billion tournaments for 30 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50(for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America. The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Skillz is looking for an experienced leader to fill a newly created CMO role on our Executive Leadership team. The CMO will be responsible for the identification, development and execution of transformational marketing campaigns to improve reach, loyalty, and strategic positioning for Skillz in the market.
This leader will build and implement highly scalable marketing strategies to lead Skillz to and through IPO. You are a person who thrives on relationship building and has experience systematically building out multifaceted, cross-channel marketing programs for a rapidly growing organization. You thrive on leveraging data and analytics for continuous improvement. You enjoy a mission-driven, fast paced environment where the work you put in daily directly impacts organizational growth. You know how to lead strategic, creative and pragmatic programming to drive positive brand awareness and sentiment in a high-growth, fast-paced environment. You are an expert on tying marketing directly to the needs of the overall business of a late-stage start-up.
- Elevate the Skillz brand and advance efforts to drive game makers and players to embrace their inner champion
- Create first-class, holistic, and multi-channel marketing campaigns to advance pre- and post-IPO business needs
- Drive deep engagement opportunities with business partners internally and externally
- Build and empower your team to deliver key results by meeting organizational needs and seizing opportunities
- Emotional Intelligence - Relationship builder with good instincts, humility and willingness to receive/respond to feedback constructively.
- Influential Marketer - Quickly synthesize information to create strategies that promote Skillz.
- Executive Presence - Experience working with fellow C-suite leaders in a SVP level or higher role while working as a cross functional leader and "team player."
- Project Management - Balance multiple priorities simultaneously and exercise ruthless prioritization; recognize and skillfully navigate opportunities, challenges and risks; problem solve to drive wins for Skillz.
- Manage existing, and continue to build, a high-performance marketing team
- Design and implement robust, scalable and innovative marketing strategies to advance the company’s overall business strategy
- Identify opportunities, strategies and process improvements and develop priority project lists to meet long term goals for growth, efficiency and profit
- Design department’s implementation roadmap with clear KPIs/SLAs
- Oversee and manage a variety of highly prioritized projects, as well as complete ad-hoc projects, requests, and analysis
- Drive internal change while consistently inspiring excellence
- Proven track record of hiring and leading high-performance teams
- Ability to convey complex ideas in a strategic and concise fashion
- Proven management skills; ability to engage and influence people across teams including driving change among senior executives (SVPs, VPs, CFOs, Presidents, and C-Level Officers)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and resourceful to achieve success in the face of ambiguity, while prioritizing and managing multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- In-depth understanding of diverse business functions and operating principles
- Analytical rockstar, who is execution and results oriented
- Outstanding organizational and leadership abilities
- Preferred MBA or related graduate degree from a top tier university
(HITMARKER NOTE: You'd be doing us a real solid if you let Skillz know you found their job on our site!)