(Closed) Senior Software Engineer (Services)
What’s the opportunity?
- Build the platform for the next generation of online networks: Real engineering, at internet scale, based on enriching (rather than exploiting) human connections. This is the future that online games, a possible “metaverse”, offers.
- Modern, high scale engineering, meets video games: You could build yet-another-microservice, or you could work in video games at a studio that understands and invests in solid, cloud-native internet platforms.
- It’s the right time to join this startup: Startups are hard and risky. Luckily we have an experienced team, world class investors and advisors, and a healthy runway. This is the magic moment, when risk and reward are properly aligned, to get in on the ground floor.
What will you do?
- You’ll develop the online services for our first game: from matchmaking to social graphs to payment systems and beyond.
- You’ll integrate online services into our game client using the Unreal Engine.
- You’ll ensure the backend platform can operate at scale efficiently. You’ll create and run load tests and develop the telemetry you need to support the platform as it goes live.
- You’ll leverage open source software and contribute back when possible.
- You’ll participate in code reviews, write tests and assist in creating a healthy, humane, professional CI/CD development pipeline.
- You’ll help to grow the engineering team and studio through mentorship, interviews, and constructive feedback. You’ll contribute more than just code to achieve our goal.
What experience should I have?
- You have 5+ years of experience developing scalable backend internet services, preferably in Java or Kotlin, or in similar languages such as Scala, Go, or C#.
- You’ve developed the product sense and judgement to know when to “build vs buy” solutions. You’re interested in solving problems, not just writing code.
- You’re not afraid to get your hands dirty, learn something new or do something you haven’t before. You still love to code and get into the details of your tech stack.
- Bonus: You have experience with online game platforms and MMO’s in particular.
With our first project, we’re exploring new styles of game design and tackling difficult technical problems to create a game that’s beautiful and intricate, delivering far more than superficial entertainment or basic wish fulfillment, an experience that becomes a meaningful part of your life. Our vision is to create a compelling virtual universe filled with rich and diverse gameplay experiences and social interactions that will keep you playing for years, evolving along with you and the rest of the community. We want our players to feel valued as well as a true sense of belonging.
Sounds ambitious? We think so, too. If you’re interested in the challenge of building a new genre, in making rewarding interactive & community experiences filled with amazing art and world class technology to support this living world, join us on the journey.
Life at Singularity 6
Our team of 27 consists of designers, artists, and engineers who come from both the gaming and non-gaming worlds. Our small, yet mighty team has been working remotely (and successfully too!) until we can see each other again in the office. We make time to connect through different virtual team events and gaming hour, where we take time to explore interesting games on the market. If you like Animal Crossing, virtual board games, or even FF14, you might enjoy being able to explore games as part of your job here at Singularity 6.
What benefits can I expect?
- Competitive offer including salary and equity
- Health, dental and vision insurance.
- 401(k) matching
- Open PTO policy
- High performance desktop
Can I work remotely? What about COVID-19?
- To protect the health of our team and community, all team members are currently working from home. As it becomes safe, we will open our office for select individuals. We do look forward to some future date when we can all return to our west Los Angeles office. At that time, we’ll work with any team members not in Los Angeles to find a responsible way to relocate.
Will you help me relocate?
- Yes! We offer relocation assistance for those not in the Los Angeles area and are legally eligible to work in the United States.
What do you mean by “senior engineer”?
- We’re not big on titles. We’re a small team of experienced peers. As we grow, our seniority levels will evolve. If you’re currently considered a senior, principle, staff, or lead engineer or architect, let’s chat.
Will you consider me?
- We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity, equity, and inclusion. We consider all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Please feel free to get in touch with us at [email protected] We are excited to hear from you!
I’m a recruiter. Can I send you a resume?
- To all recruitment agencies: Singularity 6 does not accept unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our careers alias, or any Singularity 6 employee. Singularity 6 will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes.