Senior Software Engineer (Data & Analytics)
What’s the opportunity?
- Build the data platform for the next generation of online games: Finding the fun in games is part art, part science. That science needs a responsible, scalable data platform from which to conduct experiments and inform decisions.
- Modern, high scale engineering, meets video games: You could build yet-another-backend or you could work in video games at a studio that understands and invests in solid, cloud-native internet platforms.
- Work across stacks and domains to solve difficult problems: To collect the right data, you’ll need to work across stacks and domains, collaborating and diving into code ranging from Java microservices to the Unreal Engine to websites.
- It’s the right time to join this startup: Startups are hard and risky. Luckily we have an experienced team, world class investors and advisors, and a healthy runway. This is the magic moment, when risk and reward are properly aligned, to get in on the ground floor.
What will you do?
- You’ll take scientific approaches such as A/B testing to track player engagement and make data-informed decisions on the results.
- You’ll develop the software services, scripts and tools necessary to conduct experiments, collect telemetry data and present the results.
- You’ll learn the nuances of all front-end infrastructure, proposing and implementing improvements that provide leverage to the studio.
- You’ll bring an engineering perspective to go-to-market and growth brainstorming sessions, suggesting innovative product experiments.
- You’ll participate in code reviews, write tests and assist in creating a healthy, humane, professional CI/CD development pipeline.
- You’ll help to grow the engineering team and studio through mentorship, interviews, and constructive feedback. You’ll contribute more than just code to achieve our goal.
What experience should I have?
- You have experience creating A/B experiments to optimize the growth of a product, preferably a video game.
- You have a strong understanding of statistics.
- You’ve leveraged modern data pipeline frameworks such as Spark/Kafka.
- You’re proficient in at least one core programming language such as Python, C++, or Java. You pick up new frameworks and languages quickly and aren’t afraid to jump into an unfamiliar tech stack.
- You’ve spent time as a senior engineer, tech lead or similar role with technical responsibility.
With our first project, we’re exploring new styles of game design and tackling difficult technical problems to create a game that’s beautiful and intricate, delivering far more than superficial entertainment or basic wish fulfillment, an experience that becomes a meaningful part of your life. Our vision is to create a compelling virtual universe filled with rich and diverse gameplay experiences and social interactions that will keep you playing for years, evolving along with you and the rest of the community. We want our players to feel valued as well as a true sense of belonging.
Sounds ambitious? We think so, too. If you’re interested in the challenge of building a new genre, in making rewarding interactive & community experiences filled with amazing art and world class technology to support this living world, join us on the journey.
Life at Singularity 6
Our team of 27 consists of designers, artists, and engineers who come from both the gaming and non-gaming worlds. Our small, yet mighty team has been working remotely (and successfully too!) until we can see each other again in the office. We make time to connect through different virtual team events and gaming hour, where we take time to explore interesting games on the market. If you like Animal Crossing, virtual board games, or even FF14, you might enjoy being able to explore games as part of your job here at Singularity 6.
What benefits can I expect?
- Competitive offer including salary and equity
- Health, dental and vision insurance.
- 401(k) matching
- Open PTO policy
- High performance desktop
Can I work remotely? What about COVID-19?
- To protect the health of our team and community, all team members are currently working from home. As it becomes safe, we will open our office for select individuals. We do look forward to some future date when we can all return to our west Los Angeles office. At that time, we’ll work with any team members not in Los Angeles to find a responsible way to relocate.
Will you help me relocate?
- Yes! We offer relocation assistance for those not in the Los Angeles area and are legally eligible to work in the United States.
What do you mean by “senior engineer”?
- We’re not big on titles. We’re a small team of experienced peers. As we grow, our seniority levels will evolve. If you’re currently considered a senior, principle, staff, or lead engineer or architect, let’s chat.
Will you consider me?
- We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity, equity, and inclusion. We consider all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. Please feel free to get in touch with us at [email protected] We are excited to hear from you!
I’m a recruiter. Can I send you a resume?
- To all recruitment agencies: Singularity 6 does not accept unsolicited resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our careers alias, or any Singularity 6 employee. Singularity 6 will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes.