3D Software Developer: Game Tools and Pipeline
SideFX is seeking an exceptional software developer with a passion for game development and computer graphics to join its Toronto-based R&D team. Within this role, you will be integrating a variety of games-oriented third-party tools within Houdini to enhance its interoperability with industry art pipelines. You will also develop production-savvy games tools from scratch, with a focus on performance, robust proceduralism and UX.
As a member of the SideFX Research and Development group, you would be working with some of the brightest minds in the CG industry. Our R&D team has received many prestigious industry awards, including four Technical Achievement Awards from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, an Academy Award of Merit (Oscar®), a Technology and Engineering Emmy® Award from NATAS, and four back-to-back Editor’s Choice Innovation Awards from CG World Magazine. Movies using our toolset have received the Oscar® for Best Visual Effects every year in the past two decades. We share a passion for innovation in computer graphics and a drive for excellence in game tool development and procedural animation. Providing digital artists with the most advanced tools for their craft is, and has always been, our single focus.
Whether you are research-oriented or development-oriented, we have a great number of exciting projects to choose from. You will have ample opportunity to grow professionally and make significant contributions to the success of our products. You will be constantly in touch with our users in the entertainment industry and with our colleagues. You will be right at the heart of a constantly evolving synergy between technology and art.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
As a 3D Software Developer: Game Tools and Pipeline for the Research and Development Team your responsibilities will be as follows:
- Design, implement, test, and document integrations between Houdini and third-party software, with a focus on game development areas such as FX, mesh processing, world building, animation, and proceduralism
- Identify how third-party tools are used in industry game development pipelines
- Consider architectural and technical decisions about third party integrations in order to effectively balance requirements such as user experience, optimization, extensibility, as well as any limitations imposed by the third- party tool itself
- Implement key SideFX Labs tools and other games tools within the core Houdini product
- Collaborate with developers and technical artists and integrate feedback in order to improve the user interface, workflows, and functionality of Houdini’s games tools
- Keep up to date with the latest academic and industry breakthroughs; independently research and develop ideas to continuously push our procedural technology forward
- Ensure a high level of quality and performance in the developed code architecture and features
- Identify and fix product deficiencies (bugs)
- Support multiple hardware platforms, as assigned
- Work on special projects and other strategic and technical opportunities as may be assigned
- Assist, as required, in product support or product sales and marketing activities as beneficial to the interest of the company
- Other duties as assigned
*Adjustments will be made to enable duties & responsibilities to be met working remotely considering the current Covid-19 pandemic situation.
Required Skills and Experience
- Computer Science degree or equivalent industry experience, with a record of academic and professional excellence
- Ability to learn independently, think fast, and use solid judgement
- Strong knowledge of C++ programming
- Extensive 3D graphics knowledge, including OpenGL (or other low-level graphics API) programming
- Ability to draw from varied technologies and innovate at a fast rate
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to work well independently and in a nimble team environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience in the film or game industry
- Relevant contribution to large scale software architecture and development
- Multi-threaded, multi-platform development and optimization
- User interface design (workflow, look, and feel)
- Experience with lighting and rendering software
- Proficient in Python/HOM, OpenCL, CUDA, GLSL
- Working knowledge of macOS programming
- Familiarity with Houdini or related software
For over thirty years, SideFX has been providing artists with procedural 3D animation, VFX and World Building tools designed to create the highest-quality results.
We are passionate about what our customers do because our roots are in production, both as artists and as pioneering technical innovators. SideFX has been recognized by the Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts and Science multiple times for our flagship software product Houdini, and our breakthrough procedurally-based technology.
Long used by the world’s top film and TV studios, in recent years Houdini has transformed content creation workflows at hundreds of game studios, from the largest AAA to the smallest Indie. Our customers include CD Projekt Red, Rockstar Games, Electronic Arts and many more. Houdini has played a vital part in hit video games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman, Control and the Ghost Recon series.