Lead Game Designer (Level Design)
Genjoy, a Scopely Studio in Sevilla
Scopely is a leading mobile games company home to many top-grossing, award-winning franchises including Scrabble® GO, MARVEL Strike Force, Star Trek™ Fleet Command, Looney Tunes™ World of Mayhem, WWE Champions, The Walking Dead: Road To Survival™, YAHTZEE® With Buddies and Wheel of Fortune®: Free Play, among others. Scopely creates rewarding, immersive games that empower a directed-by-consumer experience. Founded in 2011, Scopely is fueled by a world-class team and a proprietary technology platform that personalizes gameplay at scale across one of the most diversified portfolios in the west. Recognized in Fast Company’s ‘World’s Most Innovative Companies’ and #2 on Deloitte’s ‘Technology Fast 500’ as one of the fastest-growing companies in North America, Scopely has achieved more than $1 billion in lifetime revenue by creating game experiences that are an important part of people’s lives. Scopely has global operations in Los Angeles, Barcelona, Boulder, Dublin (DIGIT game studio), London and Tokyo, with additional studios in seven countries across four continents. For more information, visit our website.
We are looking for a talented and experienced Lead Game Designer who is excited to define and guide the creation of amazing user experiences for our players. If you are a great team leader, with a passion for mobile game development and want to participate in the future of Scopely, we would love to hear from you!
Our ideal Lead Game Designer will report to the Director of Product and manage a group of game designers. You will work closely with our Creative Director, Art leads, Product managers and Engineers to design and previsualize new gameplay features, sometimes large expansions to the game. At Scopely we continuously invest in our franchises to make them better and more successful products year after year.
- Understand players' needs and motivations to inform design decisions
- Keep a Product Owner mentality, ensuring designs meet the player’s needs, the franchise strategy and the business goals
- Encourage the creativity of the entire team to craft new features and obtain valuable learnings
- Transform high level opportunities into concrete and well thought out feature designs
- Creation of all facets of game design including: feature specifications, user flows, previews, prototypes
- Ensure that game information is well conveyed through the various user interfaces
- Help and coach game designers in producing and updating game specs that contain the right level of detail while staying concise and easy to understand by the whole team
- Be always up to date with the most recent market trends and best practices to ensure the best possible execution of our roadmap, and to bring new ideas to the table
- Work closely with art and product leads to establish a consistent visual identity and language
- Collaborate with UI artists in the creation of UI artwork that leads to visible, accessible, user-friendly and engaging features
- Collaborate with artists, technical artists and engineers to continuously improve how we carry designs from concept into final implementation
- Apply and maintain a unified user flow throughout gameplay systems and features
- Iterate using player and team feedback to optimise for simplicity, comprehension, and function
- Manage and develop a team of Game Designers, ensuring they have a good and successful experience and a clear path for improvement and growth within the company
- Experience working as a Lead Designer in gaming or mobile gaming
- Understand core challenges of mobile UI
- Ability to work well within a dynamic, cross-discipline, and iterative team environment
- Self-motivated and collaborative, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Positive and collaborative, no ego, attitude and an ability to receive and provide objective and useful feedback.
- Awareness of current trends in casual mobile games
- You’ve shipped casual games in a Game Designer capacity or similar
- Ability to develop and communicate complex systems on Core, Meta and Social layers
- You can hold the vision for a feature from concept to release
- You have experience with user centric design / brainstorms
- You will have a consistent record of creating impactful features on live games
- Experience designing and extracting learnings from A/B tests
- You’re someone who is self-motivated, who thrives in an agile environment
- You have deep passion for creating polished, innovative gameplay experiences for casual mobile games
- You bring deep knowledge of game design and design theory
- Strong communications skills, both in-person and remotely
- Experience managing people, driving 1:1s and performance reviews, doing follow ups and providing regular feedback to direct reports
- Experience in casual social games with deep customization and meta progression systems
- Experience as both a Designer and Product Owner/Manager
Required Application Materials
- Portfolio demonstrating relevant UI skills required
Scopely is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, family or parental status, gender identity, veteran, or disability status, or other protected status.