Lead Client Engineer (Unity)
Do you have technical and people leadership experience in mobile games? If so, this is your chance to work on one of the most exciting and successful intellectual properties in the industry.
Reporting to the Technical Director, the Lead Client Engineer will work within a cross-functional team, planning and delivering technical improvements or new features following artistic and game design goals. With strong interpersonal skills, the successful candidate will also manage and develop a small team of client engineers to ensure they have a good and successful experience and a clear path for improvement and growth within the company.
What you will do
- Ship production grade mobile games used by millions of gamers
- Drive the implementation of game mechanics and system processes using Unity and C#
- Ensure technical performance (crash rates, FPS, startup times, CPU usage, etc) is healthy throughout development
- Review Technical Design Documents and provide feedback and guidance to other engineers
- Provide exceptional leadership for a small team during the development of big and complex new features or improvements to existing ones
- Collaborate and communicate with cross-functional departments including: game design, product management, marketing, etc.
- Be part of our engineering leadership group, think about and propose solutions to the challenging problems of game development
- Manage a small team of client engineers, provide mentorship and career guidance, drive 1:1s, provide feedback, objectives and other processes like periodic people reviews; in general, ensure your direct reports are set up for success
What you will need
- Strong knowledge of C# and/or C++, or other relevant game-programming languages
- Extensive experience and knowledge of game engines, in particular Unity or a similar technology (like Unreal Engine)
- Strong understanding of the basics of software engineering fundamentals: design patterns, game framework architecture at scale, maintainability over time, robust API design, etc.
- Solid understanding of mobile networking best practices: request limiting, request caching, batching, content aggregation, minification, integrating with rest and TCP/UDP services, etc.
- Experience with DLC pipelines: asset bundles, dependency management, etc
- Experience with asynchronous, multi-threaded, parallel programming paradigms and other techniques to maximize UI responsiveness and do operations in background
- Experience and understanding around client-side testing, like unit, functional or integration testing
- Strong knowledge of game programming fundamentals, common patterns, how systems work together and various common architectural approaches
- Strong mobile experience (iOS and Android): ability to debug native device issues, strong understanding of hardware and platform limitations, performance metrics, etc.
- Good understanding of tooling around game development, like Git, Jenkins for build automation, etc.
- Enjoy solving complex technical problems, especially in large systems
- Experience managing people, driving 1:1s and performance reviews, doing follow ups and providing regular feedback to direct reports
- Experience driving and leading the technical execution of complex and interdisciplinary developments
Scopely is a leading mobile games company home to many top-grossing, award-winning franchises including Scrabble® GO, MARVEL Strike Force, Star Trek™ Fleet Command, Looney Tunes™ World of Mayhem, WWE Champions, The Walking Dead: Road To Survival™, YAHTZEE® With Buddies and Wheel of Fortune®: Free Play, among others. Scopely creates rewarding, immersive games that empower a directed-by-consumer experience. Founded in 2011, Scopely is fueled by a world-class team and a proprietary technology platform that personalizes gameplay at scale across one of the most diversified portfolios in the west. Recognized in Fast Company’s ‘World’s Most Innovative Companies’ and #2 on Deloitte’s ‘Technology Fast 500’ as one of the fastest-growing companies in North America, Scopely has achieved more than $1 billion in lifetime revenue by creating game experiences that are an important part of people’s lives. Scopely has global operations in Los Angeles, Barcelona, Boulder, Dublin (DIGIT game studio), London and Tokyo, with additional studios in seven countries across four continents.
Scopely is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, family or parental status, gender identity, veteran, or disability status, or other protected status.
Candidate information will be treated in accordance with our candidate privacy notice