Director, Corporate Development
Scopely is a leading mobile games company home to many top-grossing, award-winning franchises including Scrabble® GO, MARVEL Strike Force, Star Trek™ Fleet Command, Looney Tunes™ World of Mayhem, WWE Champions, The Walking Dead: Road To Survival™, YAHTZEE® With Buddies and Wheel of Fortune®: Free Play, among others. Scopely creates rewarding, immersive games that empower a directed-by-consumer experience. Founded in 2011, Scopely is fueled by a world-class team and a proprietary technology platform that personalizes gameplay at scale across one of the most diversified portfolios in the west. Recognized in Fast Company’s ‘World’s Most Innovative Companies’ and #2 on Deloitte’s ‘Technology Fast 500’ as one of the fastest-growing companies in North America, Scopely has achieved more than $1 billion in lifetime revenue by creating game experiences that are an important part of people’s lives. Scopely has global operations in Los Angeles, Barcelona, Boulder, Dublin (DIGIT game studio), London and Tokyo, with additional studios in seven countries across four continents. For more information, visit our website.
As Director, Corporate Development, reporting to the Senior Director, Corporate Development, you will be responsible for sourcing and building relationships with game studios and related businesses around the globe, laying the groundwork for securing transformational partnerships for Scopely. Scopely is looking for a hard-charging BD / Corp Dev professional that will execute on Scopely’s strategic initiatives in gaming.
What you will do:
- You will be a first point of contact for potential new partnerships with game developers and related businesses
- You should understand how to identify a quality team, what their core skills are and be able to articulate that to various internal stakeholders
- You will have or build expertise in free-to-play gaming, PC/Console gaming, and new gaming verticals, such as blockchain gaming / NFTs and play to earn
- You will spearhead due diligence processes and have an understanding of how to structure long-term deals that set up Scopely for success
- Articulate the Scopely vision and how we can most effectively partner with studios
- Develop long term relationships and have an endurance style business approach
- Develop strong relationships with premier independent game developers and the key people they employ, gaining an understanding of the challenges they face and goals they hope to achieve
- Keep tabs on industry trends and up and coming studios by obsessively analyzing the market, playing all the new releases, and attending industry events and conferences
What you will need:
- 7+ years of business development, corporate development, developer relations, studio management, or other gaming experience
- A deep understanding of the gaming space and how it is evolving
- The ability to communicate in a clear yet conversational way, both written and verbally
- Excellent listening skills and the ability to relate to multiple perspectives
- A proactive, entrepreneurial approach; we’re looking for a self-starter who is obsessed with improving the way we work with partners and how great games are made
- Experience with venture investments, M&A and corporate development
- Relationship master
- Strategic thinker
Scopely is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, family or parental status, gender identity, veteran, or disability status, or other protected status.
Candidate information will be treated in accordance with our candidate privacy notice.