Senior 3D Environment Artist
Schell Games is a highly talented group of artists, programmers, producers, and game designers led by game industry veteran Jesse Schell. We like creating family-friendly games that are transformational and fun. Presently, we focus on creating a wide variety of innovative gaming experiences including theme park installations, web-based MMOs, next-generation consoles, social games, and mobile platforms.
Do you believe games can be fun and emotionally engaging? Would you agree that games can positively affect people?
If you answered "YES!" to both questions,you might be a fit for our studio!
SENIOR 3D ENVIRONMENT ARTIST POSITION
Our artists honor the unique aesthetic vision of each project and work to make all aspects of the experience beautiful. The team is comprised of 2D/conceptual artists, 3D modelers, technical and effects artists, and animators. We are seeking a talented Senior 3D Artist to work on projects ranging from online worlds and handheld games to virtual reality experiences and themed interactive attractions. Our ideal candidate would have experience withand possess anexcellent eye for inventive world building for a variety of styles of 3D environments for integration in both the Unity and Unreal game engines.
You must demonstrate the ability to collaborate well with a multidisciplined team, communicating constructively, both verbally and writing,in order to create engaging and visually compelling game assets.The ideal candidate will have to be self-motivated and a collaborative team player who is able to work closely with the Art Director to be responsible for large sections of the game. You may often be in a position of guiding additional level artists to consistent and quality work.
Our ideal candidate will have the ability to handle both technical and artistic issues during game development, as well as be able to work quickly in a team atmosphere with schedules and reliable milestone delivery, all while demonstrating the ability to respond professionally to feedback and art direction.
You should be able to address many aspects of the 3D pipeline for our games - including basic lighting, VFX, shader applications, and efficient world-building practices. Passion for precise visual design and the ability to work in a wide range of styles within the media is crucial. We're looking for someone excited about cross-disciplined collaboration and making great games with us!
- 6+ years experience in a game development team atmosphere as an environment artist, level designer, or similar artistic role
- Portfolio of work must be available for review, displaying examples of various elements of environment design and prop work
- Understanding of optimization limitations and methodology
- Expert knowledge of sculpting in ZBrush and high to low poly process
- Expert knowledge of Substance Designer / Painter
- Expert knowledge of Maya
- Flexibility with the adoption of art styles and direction is critical
- Demonstrated ability and experience mentoring and/or managing other junior 3D artists
- In-engine capabilities for effective world building (Unreal, Unity, or otherwise)
- 2D texture mapping of 3D models
- Advanced lighting and rendering experience
- Scripting, rigging and/or artist tool creation
- Shader writing and VFX experience
Educational Background Preferred:
- BS/BA/BFA degree infine arts, animation, visual communication, or similar
The candidate selected for this position will be subject to standard employment verification and criminal background check upon offer of contingent employment.