Rumble Games was founded in 2011 and is located in San Francisco, California. The studio is home to more than 20 professionals whose mission is to create the most engaging and fulfilling mobile game experiences on the planet. Our team is focused on combining the best of AAA game design with free-to-play accessibility, and are passionate about creating experiences that will surprise and delight our players in a way that we believe will change the way gamers play together.
Rumble Games is looking for a passionate game designer with a strong background in Systems Design and number balancing to work on an in-development project. As a Systems & Balance Designer, you will spend most of your time creating and documenting systems and relationships of the game’s numerical infrastructure, in support of the goals of the Game Design team. The scope of this position includes all game numbers, from balancing combat systems and damage types to perfecting monetization systems and the flow of player resources. You should have a passion for building a system of numbers and rules that will dictate how changes are made to the gameplay balance and economy. Eventually, you’ll work closely with analytical tools to make sure the games numbers are producing the desired results.
At Rumble Games , you will be part of a small team of professionals who operate as the brain and product vision behind the games we make. We operate in a culture that encourages participants to question everything and discuss matters with a goal oriented approach. You shouldn’t be afraid to propose ridiculous ideas that challenge boundaries and promote out of the box thinking – in fact, we encourage it!
Though the emphasis of this position is on creating content, you will also have the opportunity to engage in other aspects of game design.
Our ideal Systems Designer approaches game systems as a complex machine, with strong intentional relationships between different systems. By starting out with subjective, conceptually sound goals, we expect this person to create objective rules and relationships that govern the support of those goals. This candidate also commands the discipline to maintain those systems long after the problem solving stage has been figured out, updating this documentation with any rule changes and helping steer the team away from anecdotal tweaks that would otherwise break the relational nature of these systems.
- At least 2 years of work experience in a systems or balance design capacity, preferably on mobile game projects
- Strong familiarity with spreadsheet software (such as Microsoft Excel)
- Extremely strong mathematical skills, with a passion for applying those skills to solving Game Design problems
- Passion for core gaming (RPGs are a plus)
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in a quantitative field of study, such as Economics, Statistics, or Math
- Experience being the primary Systems Designer on a mobile free-to-play title
What we offer:
- Open PTO
- Generous 401k matching
- Competitive health insurance
- Competitive salaries
- Personal annual R&D budget for use on any form of media/entertainment
- Participation in a world-class studio dedicated to game design