The Games Technology team encompasses a whole host of data and analytics expertise areas, including (but not limited to) machine learning, build and submission tools, and cloud infrastructure. Powered by Beacon, Rovio's in-house cloud services platform, the team supports tens of millions of players, capturing 4 billion events and over 1TB of data per day. All of this work results in services and tools that enable successful live operations and continuous optimization in Rovio’s games.
We are looking for a Machine Learning Engineer to join our Data & ML Engineering team. In this role at Rovio you get to apply Machine Learning to solve hard problems that can bring a positive impact to our games, advertisement business and user acquisition marketing campaigns.
You will participate in new projects concepting new solutions, doing exploratory data analysis, and validating assumptions. You will also be involved in taking those promising solutions into production and measuring the impact they bring to our business. You will also have the opportunity to improve our MLOps lifecycle, maintain our existing models, and suggest improvements and new use cases.
Our robust pipelines and infrastructure will allow you along with your colleagues in the Data & ML Engineering team to focus on bringing most of the value from our data lake. Also, you will work closely with data engineers and the technology team, enabling you to request new datasets and features which you find helpful for your modelling work.
We expect you to help us stay on top of state-of-the-art data modelling techniques and MLOps best practices, as we take smart risks in adopting new tech and approaches. At the moment we write most of our new code in Python and our data engineering pipelines are mostly written in PySpark which is run in AWS EMR. We use AWS Sagemaker for real-time inference of our models and also leverage AWS Batch and Docker to run parallelized jobs. SQL is ubiquitous as well, as we query our Data Lake with engines like Athena and Presto. Regarding data exploration, data visualisation and modelling we are flexible in the libraries we use, and we welcome trying out new things.
Areas of contributions
- New ML related projects with high impact
- Daily operations and maintenance for the data platform, models, products and services that the team owns
- Data related work in projects where new features are developed in our cloud gaming platform, Beacon
- Data platform development projects, driven by the team itself to keep our ML technology stack up-to-date
- Develop new models by participating in machine learning projects with cross organisational teams.
- Maintain and improve our existing machine learning models applying MLOps best practices.
- Explore our datasets and propose new use cases and ideas that can bring value to Rovio games.
- Stay up to date with state-of-the-art ML literature, and evaluate how these new techniques can be applied at Rovio.
- Collaborate in our share of daily operational work together with data engineers
What you need to do great in this role:
- A degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field
- Excellent programming skills, preferably in Python
- Proven record of developing & running ML models in production
- Basic knowledge in data engineering and/or software engineering
- Proactive attitude and collaborative working approach
- Good communication skills and experience communicating complex modelling concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences
Initial call: A quick chat for you to hear a bit more about the role, and for us to get an initial picture of who you are.
First meeting: You will meet the hiring manager. The aim is for us to know who you are, what your experience has been and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn about Rovio, the wider team and the specifics of the role.
Second round: You will be invited to meet your peer team managers, and a few data engineers. Our aim is to get a clear overview of your skills, how you would fit with our working culture, your ambitions and where we can help you develop.
Third round: You will meet our HR specialist. The goal is to explain the people processes here and discuss your views on people leadership.
We welcome applicants to use the name they want to be addressed by in the application form, regardless of whether it is their legal name.