Principal Data Scientist, Team Manager
Data is at the heart of everything we do at Rovio. It enables us to continually improve our games and provide incredible experiences for the millions of users who play our games every day. All of this data is only valuable if it can be used to guide our day to day operations. It is the job of Rovio data craft to turn that raw data into actionable insights for Rovio’s games teams and other business units. The data craft aims to empower Rovio’s teams with insightful data, and also with relevant tools and models that support decision making
We are looking for a passionate Principal Data Scientist, Team Manager to lead our Data Science team in Espoo, Finland.
You would help Rovio reach the next level by introducing new data driven solutions to create and operate games. We believe that data should be an integral part of every service we provide and you would be participating and potentially leading projects to deliver new data driven solutions to the best known brand in mobile games. You will have the unique opportunity of working with truly large sets of high quality data on top of a top-notch data platform. You will also work alongside a diverse community of colleagues that are hands-on, collaborative and ambitious. From performance marketing optimization to personalized in-game experiences, you will have the chance to work on any and all of the most interesting and high impact analytics challenges faced by Rovio.
As a team lead, you will nourish an inspiring team culture and mentor your team members to develop professionally. You will ensure that the teams receive valuable insights and effective models for creating the best games, by participating in strategic planning and helping your team members in their tasks to reach the company goals.
- Participate and lead research and development projects with cross organisational teams
- Working with and guiding the team members in data science projects
- Testing your ideas and working with cross organisational teams to take your solutions to production
- Developing models and algorithms that increase the efficiency in decision making and drive higher ROI
- Providing leadership and support to a team of data scientists, helping them grow in their roles and help them advance in their career development
- Guiding stakeholders in defining relevant KPIs, utilizing existing data, discovering opportunities and driving data-driven decision making
- Following the advancements in the data science field and advising the organization in the use of state-of-the-art machine learning techniques
Who we think will do great in this role has:
- Expert knowledge in data science, machine learning and statistics concepts (e.g. linear models, trees, neural networks, boosting, Gaussian processes)
- Proven record of applying models from concept to production
- Excellent programming skills in Python, ability to automate analytics processes using programming languages or modern data science tools
- Solid knowledge of SQL and databases
- Self-starter type of personality, ability and willingness to guide a team of experts with different backgrounds.
- Track record in leading a team and mentoring data scientists
- Good communication skills
We’d love if you have some of these:
- Prior work experience in performance marketing, advertising, or gaming industries
- Experience with open source big data technologies and large data sets
- Know-how on Amazon Web Services, especially with Athena, Presto, Spark, Kafka and Flink. General understanding on deploying applications in AWS environment
- Initial call: A quick chat for you to hear a bit more about the role, and for us to get an initial picture of who you are.
- First meeting: You will meet the hiring manager. Before diving deeper into your tech skills, we want to know who you are and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Rovio and the specifics of the role.
- Second round: You will complete an exercise in your own time.
- Third round: You will be invited to meet the team lead and few team member(s). Our aim is to get a clear overview of your skills, how you would fit with our working culture, your ambitions and where we can help you develop. We also try to give you a chance to meet the wider team.
- Fourth round: You will meet our HR specialist. The goal is to explain the people processes here and discuss your views on people leadership.