We are looking for an experienced and passionate Expert Level Designer to join our successful Puzzle Studio and our successful game team Dream Blast.
Our vision is to innovate on the puzzle category with games that fill players with delight. You will come in with fresh eyes and bring new ideas to take the Core (levels) to the next level. As a critical part of the Content Team you will analyze the current strengths and weaknesses of the Core and drive key initiatives to improve the success of the game. We expect that you share our passion to take puzzle gaming to the next level by providing deeper gameplay experiences, and for that, you want to understand core game logic, level mechanics, player feedback, level design philosophies and player journey in the levels and through the level funnel.
The whole team is located in Finland and plan to work in a hybrid model, meaning they’ll plan to work flexibly with 1-3 days per week onsite whenever the government's pandemic restrictions allow.
- Lead creative efforts of Dream Blast’s level design: core game logic, level mechanics, player feedback, level design philosophies and player journey in the levels and through the level funnel
- Work with other stockholders on roadmaps for level content and core/toy features to meet growth targets
- Advise LiveOps Team on A/B test related to level content and core/toy to enable further growth
- Drive the curation process for a matured game with 10k levels oversee their maintenance and curation to improve level performance
- Collaborate with other designers to craft a cohesive experience for players
- Mentor/coach designers working on features related to the core/toy experience and level creation
Who we think will do great in this role has:
- About 5 years of commercial experience and proven success working on mobile F2P games, with about 3 years of experience building levels for a match game. Experience coming both from operating a live game as well as developing a game from scratch is a plus
- Owner of at least one area of a game. Some experience working as a Lead Designer is a plus
- Experience designing and tuning Systems including Meta, Social and Event systems. Experience with Competitive and Cooperative systems is a plus
- Experience working closely with BI to understand the data and create a plan to improve KPI’s
- A collaborative leadership approach to empower and inspire those around you, at the same time strong team player
- An ability to align a team behind a vision and manage conflict on a team by listening, understanding, and aligning the team members to the common goals
- Strong spoken and written communication skills
- Critical thinker who is also creative, adaptive and a strong problem solver, in order to bring level design to the whole new level
- First meeting: You will meet the hiring manager. The aim is for us to know who you are, what your experience has been and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn about Rovio, the wider team and the specifics of the role.
- Second round: You will do an exercise to complete in your own time so that we can better understand your analysis skills and design process.
- Third round: You will meet with Lead Designers to dive deeper into the exercise.
- Final round: You will be invited to meet the Game Lead and team member(s). Our aim is to get a clear overview of your skills, how you would fit with our working culture, your ambitions and where you can help us develop as well as we help you.
Rovio’s Puzzle Studio has their sights set on becoming the most successful casual puzzle game studio in the world. Exploring new and emerging trends in puzzle games, the studio has built a deep understanding of the puzzle genre and its players since its founding in 2014. The studio has introduced innovations in puzzle game core with the free-flowing Angry Birds Dream Blast, and the narrative-driven Small Town Murders, as well as providing players with exciting new content and events in fan-favorite games such as Angry Birds Friends. With their games, Puzzle Studio aims to create a true emotional connection that stays with players even when they’re not playing.
We welcome applicants to use the name they want to be addressed by in the application form, regardless of whether it is their legal name.