Senior Lighting Artist
Senior Position / Full-Time
We are looking for an enthusiastic Senior Lighting Artist to join our highly passionate, Montreal-based team of creative developers and industry veterans, in order to work on a brand-new and original IP for next-gen consoles and PC
As part of this full-time position, you will be responsible for envisioning, creating and implementing highly-immersive lighting conditions to the game world, setting the mood and atmosphere of our new and ambitious third-person Action-RPG.
Within a medium-sized team using the Unreal Engine, you will be working under the Lead Level Artist, the Art Director and the Assistant Art Director’s direct supervision, in close partnership with other artists, designers and various departmental leads, in order to exert a direct influence over the end product’s quality and success.
Rogue Factor Offers
- Competitive salary and employee benefits package, including group insurance, unlimited sick days, RRSP with the employer's contribution and gym membership.
- Flexible work hours and a hybrid remote / on-site work formula.
- Advantageous development budgets and appropriate production timelines on medium size and truly unique projects - created by and for gamers.
- A dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work environment.
- Continued training and career development opportunities.
- Work closely with the Lead Level Artist, Art Director, Assistant Art Director, Lead Technical Artist, other artists and team leads to create movie quality lighting lighting elements that will fulfill the game’s artistic vision and support the gameplay, while also respecting the principles of its creative direction and taking into account the end product’s technical constraints.
- Create state-of-the-art, immersive and coherent lighting solutions for exterior and interior environments, as well as characters, then see to their integration, iteration, benchmarking and optimization within the game engine.
- Collaborate with different stakeholders to create and implement state-of-the-art processes and techniques capable of improving the product’s lighting features, in order to ensure its qualitative distinction and superiority in comparison to other competing titles.
- Push back the limits of the project’s creative direction by proactively contributing to brainstorming sessions and art reviews, in order to propose new ideas and contents, as well as to provide advice on the best practices to drive their implementation.
- Take part in additional duties, which may include assisting with content creation, quality control and any other activities necessary to the project’s delivery and success.
- B.A. or B.S. Degree or equivalent in a relevant field (Visual Effects, Animation, Cinema, Computer Science, Game Design, Graphic Design, Visual Arts or other).
- 5+ years of experience in video game art, including a notable experience as a Lighting Artist in a successful title.
- Ability for rapid and iterative creation based on peer feedback and directions.
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4 or an equivalent game engine, with a strong knowledge of real-time lighting.
- Strong knowledge of art fundamentals, in particular in terms of lighting, colour theory and composition.
- Strong knowledge of industry trends in terms of 2D/3D lighting pipelines.
- Knowledge of industry-standard 2D, 3D and video compositing tools.
- Understanding the links between art, visual storytelling and other video game pillars such as gameplay, narrative design, level design, visual effects, lighting and audio, as well as their capacity to synergize in order to generate emotions, immersion and engagement.
- Experience with (or marked interest for) 3rd-person Action and RPG games.
- Extreme attention to details, as well as the capacity to clearly represent abstract concepts.
- The ideal candidate will be autonomous, creative, open-minded, exhibit a positive attitude and possess strong organizational and communication skills (in both French and English), as well as display an eagerness for learning and self-improvement.
- Experience in shipping 2+ successful AA/AAA titles for consoles and PC, while occupying a Lighting Artist role through at least one complete development cycle.
- Experience in level art, 3D modeling and asset creation.
- Experience in following production roadmaps with AGILE management tools like Jira.
Candidates must be authorized to work in Canada.
Rogue Factor is an equal opportunity employer.
Although we wish to sincerely thank all applicants, only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
ABOUT ROGUE FACTOR
Design Distinctions Create Desire
At Rogue Factor, we truly believe that the most important aspect of any creation is the strength of its design distinctions.
A powerful idea is one that has a voice of its own, born from an audacious vision to generate new meaning and leave no one indifferent. In order for a game to be truly memorable, for it to jolt people’s hearts and minds, its distinctive elements should be mystifying when first witnessed. They should challenge the audience’s pre-defined perspectives and expectations, forcing people to stop in their tracks, take notice, process, and dissect the information.
When this effect is achieved, when a product’s distinctions completely capture the onlooker’s imagination, it generates fascination and desire. A desire to know more, a desire to understand, to be a part of and possess.
The New Rogue Factor - Montreal’s Premier Boutique Studio
With “Design Distinctions Create Desire” as our new guiding philosophy, we are hard at work planning and gearing up for our studio’s next 10 years and beyond, as we aim to become what we affectionately dub Montreal’s first Boutique Studio.
While our hometown is known the world over for its vibrant game industry, comprising both renowned AAA giants and a myriad of small indies, we believe that a space exists right in the middle for something radically different. A space for the emergence of a bold and original new model - a middleweight developer with the capacity to produce ambitious and world-class titles that are intricate, deep, personal and captivating.
We want to create video games that are not afraid of being just that - games - utterly interactive and mechanically engrossing. In order to achieve this, our roadmap foresees the expansion of our current team to a total of 80-100 members, working with enviable development budgets and appropriate production timelines on large-scale-yet-intimate and truly unique projects, created by and for gamers.
Our goal is to offer breathtaking original tales that will unfold as you, the player, get to live and breathe them for yourself like never before. By fully embracing this ideal and striving to achieve its very embodiment, our ambition is nothing less than to write tomorrow’s gaming History.