(Closed) Senior Author-Screenwriter
Senior Position / Full-Time
We are looking for an enthusiastic Senior Author/Screenwriter to join our highly passionate, Montreal-based team of creative developers and industry veterans, in order to work on a brand-new and original IP for next-gen consoles and PC.
As part of this full-time position, you will be in charge of crafting the world, characters and main storylines of our new and ambitious third-person Action-RPG project, within a medium-sized team using Unreal Engine. Your mandate will be to write a collection of compelling AAA-quality stories, both high-level and detailed, that will serve as the linchpin between the title’s strong narrative goals and innovative gameplay proposition.
You will be working under the supervision of the Creative Director, in close partnership with designers and various departmental leads, in order to exert a direct influence over the end product’s quality and success.
Rogue Factor Offers
- Competitive salary and employee benefits package, including group insurance, unlimited sick days, RRSP with the employer's contribution and gym membership.
- Flexible work hours and a hybrid remote / on-site work formula.
- Advantageous development budgets and appropriate production timelines on medium size and truly unique projects - created by and for gamers.
- A dynamic, inclusive, challenging, and engaging work environment.
- Continued training and career development opportunities.
- Conceptualize, write, edit, and deliver the game's compelling main story, backgrounds and story arcs of the hero and all the main characters, as well as numerous other fully realized written contents (lore, world, characters, story pillars, narrative arcs, quests, story bible, etc.) that will provide players with a world-class interactive storytelling experience, as well as serve to communicate this ambitious third-person Action-RPG’s creative vision to the rest of the development team.
- Work closely with the Creative Director, Lead Game Designer, Narrative Game Designer and team leads to craft rich, detailed and memorable written contents which will remain coherent, authentic, captivating and immersive, all while respecting the project’s creative vision.
- Create and maintain a story summary document that clarifies and outlines the game's story and narrative design, which will provide team members from all the different departments with a common and clear point of reference.
- Work in tandem with the Creative Director and the Narrative Game Designer to ensure that all narrative variables within the game (scripted events, dialogues, cinematics, lore entries, etc.) are captivating, well written, detailed and coherent.
- Push back the limits of the project’s creative direction by proactively contributing to brainstorming sessions, in order to propose new ideas as well as interactive and non-interactive narrative contents capable of generating engagement and emotion from the players.
- Anticipate, organize and prioritize the writing workload, in order to fulfill production objectives.
- Take part in additional duties, which may include assisting with content creation, marketing and promotional writing, narrative and writing quality control and other activities which could prove necessary to the project’s delivery and success.
- B.A. or B.S. Degree or equivalent in a relevant field (Litterature, Screenwriting, Game Design, Communications, Cinema, Visual Arts or other).
- 5+ years of experience in screenwriting, scriptwriting or game writing, including a notable contribution to the writing of narrative contents in a successful video game title, preferably in an RPG or highly narrative context.
- Strong knowledge of industry trends in terms of interactive storytelling, character development, mission and quest design/writing, as well as scriptwriting.
- Understanding the links between interactive storytelling and other video game pillars such as art, audio, gameplay and level design, as well as a capacity to creatively exploit these synergies, in order to create immersive and interactive experiences capable of generating player engagement and emotions.
- Passion for a diversity of narrative genres, and their capacity to reach large publics through their expression in a wide variety of media.
- Experience with (or marked interest for) RPG games.
- Experience with rapid creation and iterative writing/edition.
- Extreme attention to details, as well as the capacity to solve complex problems and to clearly represent abstract concepts.
- The ideal candidate will be autonomous, exhibit a positive attitude and possess strong analytical skills, organizational and communication skills (in both French and English), exceptional English writing abilities, as well as display an eagerness for learning and self-improvement.
- Experience in shipping 2+ successful AA/AAA titles for consoles and PC, while occupying a Game Writer role through at least one complete development cycle.
- Experience in following production roadmaps with project management tools like Jira.
Candidates must be authorized to work in Canada.
Rogue Factor is an equal opportunity employer.
Although we wish to sincerely thank all applicants, only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
ABOUT ROGUE FACTOR
Design Distinctions Create Desire
At Rogue Factor, we truly believe that the most important aspect of any creation is the strength of its design distinctions.
A powerful idea is one that has a voice of its own, born from an audacious vision to generate new meaning and leave no one indifferent. In order for a game to be truly memorable, for it to jolt people’s hearts and minds, its distinctive elements should be mystifying when first witnessed. They should challenge the audience’s pre-defined perspectives and expectations, forcing people to stop in their tracks, take notice, process, and dissect the information.
When this effect is achieved, when a product’s distinctions completely capture the onlooker’s imagination, it generates fascination and desire. A desire to know more, a desire to understand, to be a part of and possess.
The New Rogue Factor - Montreal’s Premier Boutique Studio
With “Design Distinctions Create Desire” as our new guiding philosophy, we are hard at work planning and gearing up for our studio’s next 10 years and beyond, as we aim to become what we affectionately dub Montreal’s first Boutique Studio.
While our hometown is known the world over for its vibrant game industry, comprising both renowned AAA giants and a myriad of small indies, we believe that a space exists right in the middle for something radically different. A space for the emergence of a bold and original new model - a middleweight developer with the capacity to produce ambitious and world-class titles that are intricate, deep, personal and captivating.
We want to create video games that are not afraid of being just that - games - utterly interactive and mechanically engrossing. In order to achieve this, our roadmap foresees the expansion of our current team to a total of 80-100 members, working with enviable development budgets and appropriate production timelines on large-scale-yet-intimate and truly unique projects, created by and for gamers.
Our goal is to offer breathtaking original tales that will unfold as you, the player, get to live and breathe them for yourself like never before. By fully embracing this ideal and striving to achieve its very embodiment, our ambition is nothing less than to write tomorrow’s gaming History.